Raptor R purchase would you do it again?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We can debate money until the cows come home. What's worth it to one is crazy to another. While I hate to pay over sticker for anything, heck I hate to pay sticker as I'm so used to getting things way under, money, like many other things, is relative. Good buddy of mine has so much dough he will bet $50k on football or baseball in a weekend. So if he wanted the truck, would it matter to him to pay 50k over sticker? Absolutely not.

Slightly OT, but there's a cool dude on Youtube who has owned probably 7 Raptors, including an R. He also just got the TRX, the yellow one, slightly more expensive than the regular TRX. And while he loves it and says there are many things about it better than the R, and he can certainly afford it, he hates going to the gas station every other day for a $120 fillup.

So I wonder here, even though many can afford the R and the ADM, how many of you are blanching at the pump? I know, if you can afford the vehicle mpg means nothing. But that's not always the case. I'm not rich, not poor, but I hate paying to ship packages as it's overpriced. Not that I can't afford to, just a quirk.
I hate paying for anything more than its value regardless of where I am financially, I didn’t retire at 54 with a six bedroom beach house because I threw my money away. I don’t mind poor mpg vehicles that I enjoy, I do hate poor energy policies that increase fuel cost.

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i test drove a TRX prior to buying an R, was not impressed at all. salesperson let me launch it too, it drove like a boat...had nothing near the comfort of tthe raptor's suspension. didn't seem as fast an R
id hate to be the next guy buyin that one.

kiman44

Reaction score
We can debate money until the cows come home. What's worth it to one is crazy to another. While I hate to pay over sticker for anything, heck I hate to pay sticker as I'm so used to getting things way under, money, like many other things, is relative. Good buddy of mine has so much dough he will bet $50k on football or baseball in a weekend. So if he wanted the truck, would it matter to him to pay 50k over sticker? Absolutely not.

Slightly OT, but there's a cool dude on Youtube who has owned probably 7 Raptors, including an R. He also just got the TRX, the yellow one, slightly more expensive than the regular TRX. And while he loves it and says there are many things about it better than the R, and he can certainly afford it, he hates going to the gas station every other day for a $120 fillup.

So I wonder here, even though many can afford the R and the ADM, how many of you are blanching at the pump? I know, if you can afford the vehicle mpg means nothing. But that's not always the case. I'm not rich, not poor, but I hate paying to ship packages as it's overpriced. Not that I can't afford to, just a quirk.
I have a '22 raptor and now a '23 R. The fuel consumption difference is very noticeable. Thank goodness for the 36 gallon fuel tank. That was one of the reasons the TRX was not going to get a place in my garage. The way fuel prices are today, and the fact that the R needs premium, count on spending a lot more on fuel. Especially if you get on it frequently. I swear I can almost see the needle moving! Still worth it.

Tylander

Reaction score
No, i traded mine for what i paid for, back into a 37 package for $50k difference. They are not materially better than a v6 raptor, at least not $50k better. Maybe at MSRP, maybe.

MKW1456

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not do it again. I paid $5k over. It sits more than its driven. I also have a 22 TRX with a dealer installed performance upgrade (called the Tyrant edition) upping the HP to 787, leveled on 37s (out the door at 95k: 11k off MSRP + 15k in updgrades).
I know this thread isn't about a comparison between the trucks but when discussing value it's fair to bring up the competition. The interior of the Ram is far better IMO. The TRX rides a bit more "floaty" or boat like with more body roll compared to the tight but forgiving R. The exhaust valves are a cool trick in the R but IMO the TRX has a better exhaust note. I prefer the 8 spd in the TRX to the 10 spd in the R (or non-R). They are both fast as hell......way more than anyone really needs but it sure is fun to line up against almost any car and unleash the power. The gas mileage sucks in both but most who have these trucks don't consider that.
I know the days of the forced induction V8s are limited...in fact its been said recently that the Hellcat is done after the 24 model year in the TRX.....which really makes me want to hang on to one. 24 TRXs will likely be sold at hefty ADMs. Who knows how long they will make the R with the SC V8. Its unknown if this will help maintain the value of these super trucks (probably will at least in the short term).
I've always been a Ford guy (2002 F150 FX4, 2007 F150 King Ranch, 2019 Raptor, 2022 Raptor). The R is awesome...I've had not issues with mine (blend date in June) now at 1k miles but I don't think it's worth more than MSRP. I get that the market has them selling at much more but I just don't see the value....supply and demand it seems.

GTTXRAP

Drill Baby Drill
Reaction score
I would not do it again. I paid $5k over. It sits more than its driven. I also have a 22 TRX with a dealer installed performance upgrade (called the Tyrant edition) upping the HP to 787, leveled on 37s (out the door at 95k: 11k off MSRP + 15k in updgrades).
I know this thread isn't about a comparison between the trucks but when discussing value it's fair to bring up the competition. The interior of the Ram is far better IMO. The TRX rides a bit more "floaty" or boat like with more body roll compared to the tight but forgiving R. The exhaust valves are a cool trick in the R but IMO the TRX has a better exhaust note. I prefer the 8 spd in the TRX to the 10 spd in the R (or non-R). They are both fast as hell......way more than anyone really needs but it sure is fun to line up against almost any car and unleash the power. The gas mileage sucks in both but most who have these trucks don't consider that.
I know the days of the forced induction V8s are limited...in fact its been said recently that the Hellcat is done after the 24 model year in the TRX.....which really makes me want to hang on to one. 24 TRXs will likely be sold at hefty ADMs. Who knows how long they will make the R with the SC V8. Its unknown if this will help maintain the value of these super trucks (probably will at least in the short term).
I've always been a Ford guy (2002 F150 FX4, 2007 F150 King Ranch, 2019 Raptor, 2022 Raptor). The R is awesome...I've had not issues with mine (blend date in June) now at 1k miles but I don't think it's worth more than MSRP. I get that the market has them selling at much more but I just don't see the value....supply and demand it seems.
Good thoughts. IF you could only have one--which one would you keep?

MKW1456

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good thoughts. IF you could only have one--which one would you keep?
Yeah. The ultimate dilemma. From a pure financial standpoint it makes sense to hold onto the R (supply and demand and market value). From the standpoint of pure fun and enjoyment and not considering money or value, I’d keep the TRX.

REMIX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if i could give you any advice I would say be patient as the economy IS SLOWING DOWN and when things soften up toys go 1st… I can promise you if you buy now and pay these crazy adms you will be sorry a year from now when you go to trade and dealers offer you 90k trade in… you will be sick and sorry.. it’s a badass overhyped pickup truck not a ferrari they will build more and many have gotten in over there head and will lose there a$$ . let the have to be 1st crowd take the depreciation hit and buy 1 used next year for 90-100k. just my 2 cents
Wow, you must be my brother from another mother. You sound a lot like me. I was a part of the Fcar community for years and during the last slowdown, almost every model took a huge beating. Even wealthy people let toys go to free up cash for other "suddenly cheap" investments like real estate and such. That's how a lot of them got to where they are.

When I bought my regular Gen2 in late 2019, I assumed I'd keep it a few years and then trade for whatever was the latest and greatest. But things have gone unsustainably nutty IMO and it's all bound to crater at this point. I was offered an R for $155k and just said nope. It's tempting because I never see Rs on the road, but I think you'll be rewarded if you're patient.

I just did my 4th 2k mile cross country round trip in my Gen2. Has anyone taken their R on an extended trip cross country? That'd be my only concern because I'm used to getting near 700mi out of a tank on these excursions. These things with their huge tanks are amazing long distance vehicles.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, you must be my brother from another mother. You sound a lot like me. I was a part of the Fcar community for years and during the last slowdown, almost every model took a huge beating. Even wealthy people let toys go to free up cash for other "suddenly cheap" investments like real estate and such. That's how a lot of them got to where they are.

When I bought my regular Gen2 in late 2019, I assumed I'd keep it a few years and then trade for whatever was the latest and greatest. But things have gone unsustainably nutty IMO and it's all bound to crater at this point. I was offered an R for $155k and just said nope. It's tempting because I never see Rs on the road, but I think you'll be rewarded if you're patient.

I just did my 4th 2k mile cross country round trip in my Gen2. Has anyone taken their R on an extended trip cross country? That'd be my only concern because I'm used to getting near 700mi out of a tank on these excursions. These things with their huge tanks are amazing long distance vehicles.
And very long distance comfy...