Raptor motor vs Ford GT motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Crank shaft is much stronger in Ford GT.....

actually I’ve read & heard the complete opposite, I can’t find it right now but will look again when I have time- I’m the obligatory NON ford fanboy former “GM nutswinger” here & I distinctly remember one of the things that helped sway my decision on buying the gen2 Raptor & “settling” for a ttV6 was that I read it shared the same forged crank & connecting rods as the GT

this would make ALOT of sense given that although it doesn’t make the same power stock as a GT we all know a mild tune can bump HP +50-100 even, & haven’t really hear or seen anyone blowing motors up- cam phaser complaints aside.

my recollection was the biggest differences included larger turbos (the HO 3.5 has slightly larger turbos than std 3.5 EB but smaller than the GTs) the dry sump oil system, I believe larger throttle body & different intake/plenum design.

I’m sure there are other bits & pieces that are bespoke to the GT engine but I believe those were the big ones.....and tbh, the fact that it has significantly larger turbos makes me believe it shares the same crank as that seems to be the ultimate limiting factor in making more power initially after remapping on these 3.5 EBs

Never mind.....was right, found ONE of the articles I was thinking of, from Rob Report (& they tend to know bout exotics) - forged crankshaft is shared & came outta the Raptor design- which makes a lot of sense, in essence the Raptor engine will see more abuse & stress & high heat/high load situations than a GT even if the owner were to track it regularly - a raptor doubling as Baja toy & DD & toy hauler probably has more stress on the crank than the GT lol!!!!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/robbre...-raptor-monstrously-popular-eg18-2784378/amp/

Oh and for a lil extra measure for the know-it-all’s, here’s FORD GT OWNERS discussing the sharing of crank shaft components between the 2 vehicles, they don’t seem “offended” by it.

27647922-5523-4BED-B834-411BF3D42EDC.png

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
they do not share "lots of parts".

sorry to burst yall's bubble.

you're not getting the same motor that comes in a 500K+ supercar in your 65K pickup truck.

The engine architecture is identical; all of the parts are interchangeable and 60% of the parts are shared between the Raptor 3.5 HO and GT. . They even share the same fuel system, right down to the part numbers for the High Pressure Fuel Pump, Direct Injectors, fuel rails, and Port injectors. Same goes for the valve covers, ignition coils, spark plugs, cam sprockets, etc; all the same.

The GT differences are application specific, such as the dry sump oil system to support high G track use, revised camshaft profiles and larger intake manifold to support higher RPM, and a lowered compression ratio of 9:1 to support increased boost from the larger turbos.

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine architecture is identical; all of the parts are interchangeable and 60% of the parts are shared between the Raptor 3.5 HO and GT. . They even share the same fuel system, right down to the part numbers for the High Pressure Fuel Pump, Direct Injectors, fuel rails, and Port injectors. Same goes for the valve covers, ignition coils, spark plugs, cam sprockets, etc; all the same.

The GT differences are application specific, such as the dry sump oil system to support high G track use, revised camshaft profiles and larger intake manifold to support higher RPM, and a lowered compression ratio of 9:1 to support increased boost from the larger turbos.
I wonder how hard it would be to swap some of those parts over to our Raptor.

When I finally build the engine in my 19 Raptor I'm going with a Dailey Engineering dry sump setup just because lol. Gonna be a few years but it will be fun.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

When I finally build the engine in my 19 Raptor I'm going with a Dailey Engineering dry sump setup just because lol. Gonna be a few years but it will be fun.
It doesn’t sound too hard to mimic cams, turbos and lower compression turbos...

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

The issue is that they mark up the parts to discourage installing them on non-GT vehicles. For example, the retail price of the intake manifold is $5338 and the camshafts are $2619 each.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
The issue is that they mark up the parts to discourage installing them on non-GT vehicles. For example, the retail price of the intake manifold is $5338 and the camshafts are $2619 each.

I'll take 3 of each. o_O

I'd like to get a ride in a raptor that has the full GT spec setup, just to see what it's like.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score

probably better off getting aftermarket $ for $ like Gearhead turbos.....

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll take 3 of each. o_O

I'd like to get a ride in a raptor that has the full GT spec setup, just to see what it's like.
It’ll be like what it is tuned just faster but there are guys running around w/ GT level power & then some already on this forum- most got hardcore tune + E85/**** conversion & most also have upgraded turbos, seems like some have punched out the block

bottom line is- the Raptor weighs 5700 lbs & it starts & stops there, physics is physics, but I’ll never ask anyone WHY they need more power- quite the contrary, I’m all for it for the most part lol!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter