Raptor making whining noise on cold start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sharkus29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so just recently when I start up my truck there's a decently loud whining noise coming from the engine bay. I looked around and it almost sounds like it's coming from a pulley, possibly the power steering pulley? I'm trying to find a layout of the motor to confirm what that pulley is running. It's gotten really cold here the last couple days, -25 Celsius and that's when it seemed to start. But it was pretty cold a few weeks back and it wasn't doing it. By the time I got to work this morning it went away but this has me kinda worried because I don't know what it is. So has this happened to anyone else? Or do you guys have any idea what it could be? Thanks for any help or advice. And it's the 6.2L with 5400 kms on it. Thanks again

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

Ok after searching google and finding a thread on this forum it seems it's most likely coming from my power steering pulley and or idler pulleys.

Ok so I started it this morning and it's even colder out.. Like minus 27 for god sake. It's ridiculous. And now to add to what's already wrong the check engine light came on.. Does anyone know why this might be? I'm going to get it into the dealer tomorrow if I can. It's just hard since I'm on shift right now. Thanks for any of your help

Ok another update, I looked into the light that came on last night and it turns out it's a service engine soon light, which comes on when there is something going on with your emissions. That was a little relieving, it also said in the manual that it could come on due to bad gas, now I did fill it up just prior to it coming on but it was with premium so that shouldn't have been a problem. Another thing it said is if that little metal flap that stops anything getting in your gas is off or something's wrong with it that will also cause it to come on. So I looked at mine and went and fiddled around with it. Didn't change anything at that time. But this morning it was a lot warmer than the past few days and when I started up then truck the idler pulley wasn't whining, and the light was off. I don't know if the cold had something to do with the light coming on too or what. I'm still going into ford on Thursday to get a diagnostics done on the truck to see what the code was that came up.

Last edited:

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Idler pulley, mines been replaced 4 times and it still does it at cold start. Once it warms up its fine.