Raptor does not hold up to Rain Storm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's probably the window. You can get some butyl window seal stuff and go after it yourself if you have the time and patience. Pull it out, clean it up, intall a new butyl bead and reinstall. I'd recommend not using the super duper urethane as it's not really needed and will make any future replacement of the rear window a bear.

tpe187

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to buy the rubber butyl tape from Ford and replace it @ around $30. Seems like it's not a complete pain in the butt on the '13. Now it just needs to stop raining for a minute...

tpe187

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the rear window seal today. Called local Ford dealer who said the seal only came with the window and could not be purchased separately. Went to local safelite shop and guy gave me the seal for free. Cool dude. Getting the window out was not that hard. Lower the rear seat backs, two side trim screws, pull rear door seals, pull rear side trim, then two headliner plugs, I think three plugs for rear felt panel, disconnect defrost if not done already as well as ground wire. About 12 nuts to remove around perimeter, then break seal with a putty knife. Work slowly along bottom and top. Should be able to get a corner started from the outside. Removing the old seal wasn't too difficult from the metal on the truck side, but was a royal pain in the ass from the window side. This job would be super easy with a replacement window. Scraping with a flat tip screwdriver or razor didn't work that well. Heat gun just made a soft rubbery goo. Read somewhere that PB blaster worked, but it just made liquid tar out of the seal. Acetone didn't work well either. In the end, some Goo be gone on a rag seemed to work best. Didn't think about it until after, but a green scotch pad would probably work well. Did a final clean with acetone and simple green. Then just lay the seal in the channel and work around the perimeter. Remount the window to the truck, hand tighten the bolts, then gradually tighten until you get to 35in lbs for all. Reassemble interior and have a beer.

tpe187

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, thought I would follow up. Still had a leak after replacing the 3rd brake light assembly, then using RTV on the gasket, then replaced the rear window seal. Pulled the headliner and discovered water forward on the headliner, about mid rear door. Pulled the sunroof drain tube and both sides were full of water, i.e clogged. Pulled both, cleaned and reinstalled. They come out below the sill on the frame side and mine had one that was exposed and one that had pulled inside and was draining water into the sill. Also, I had never cleaned the inside edge of my sunroof or the seal so I'm hoping the combination will stop the leak. If not, a seal is $90 and two new drain tubes are about $60. I'm hoping I can change the window seal by using the vent feature to get at 70% and then pop down and finish the front. Really don't want to drop the headliner and sunroof.