PSA: The external lock buttons are touch-sensitive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aileron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been getting frustrated with the button on the external door handle that locks the truck as you walk away. It felt like no matter how hard I pushed on it, it was super difficult to get a button press to register. The button was very stiff, like there was some kind of clearance issue or something stuck in the mechanism, and seemed to be only getting worse. It felt like every time I used it, I had to press harder and harder to get it to work!

I was starting to regret spending all this money on a COVID truck and wondering what else inside the truck was messed up if they can't even assemble a single, simple button reliably. And I didn't really want to bring it into the dealer for such a nitpicky complaint, but what am I supposed to do, just put up with this annoyance forever on a $90k truck?

Then the other night a thought occurred to me, and I tested it out upon leaving the truck...sure enough, the buttons are now touch sensitive, they don't move and you don't have to press them at all, just keep your finger on it for a second. With that realization, they work great!

GoldBeach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hated that button for the first few days. Then I realized that you just had to hold your finger on it for a split second, and not actually press down on it. Maybe they should have just put the sensor under the paint like other touch access doors... But it's fine now.

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had the issue in the past when you grab the handle it unlocks the truck and immediately locks it because you are contacting the button.

And when washing the car it locks and unlocks constantly.

I never push the button, just touch it . Don’t feel bad, plenty of people take time to actually learn their cars/trucks/suv features. Oh yea RTFM!!!! I love those posts

Floyd554

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I very much enjoy how people keep referring to “COVID Trucks”. Just SMH, LOL, WT$………….. just amusing that’s all.

LennyMoe

Reaction score
Wait..... what......
You can't even depress the button on the Gen 2 - it's some sort of proximity sensor. If you think you are, you're imagining it haha.

I'm guessing Ford made the button on the Gen 3 actually depress a little bit to give some people the satisfaction/instant feedback of actually pushing a button, but yes, the Gen 3 is also a proximity sensor of sorts.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did Ford also put this sensor on the back doors? Is it one sensor on the outside to lock and you need to touch the inside of the handle to unlock? Gen 2 never had a way to open the back doors unless you touched the front. Def a need on the back.