Procharger belt replacement?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello, so my SERP belt snapped on my procharged 2014 earlier this week, my new belt came in today. Now the big issue I have is I’m reading that the procharger and bracket need to be removed in order to get the belt on, is this the only way? If so I need some advice pointers (tips,tricks) if possible. Looks like a nightmare! Thanks in advance.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Tristan Shepersky

Instructions

First, case of cold beer!!!
Get a mechanically inclined buddy to help, two pair of hands will make this quicker.
Remove the skid plate, it will make life easier.
Remove the Procharger belt first.
Looks like you need to loosen the four mounting bolts for the Procharger bracket
and then you only need to remove the one bolt and Counter Bore Tube Spacer to get the belt around the power steering pump.
Note: "You may have to" loosen the bolts all the way so you can slip the spacer off the Boss.

Suggestion: This is a good time to replace the belt Tensioner, I get almost three years out of it before I start having belts shred

Last edited:
OP
OP
T
Reaction score
@Tristan Shepersky

Instructions

First, case of cold beer!!!
Get a mechanically inclined buddy to help, two pair of hands will make this quicker.
Remove the skid plate, it will make life easier.
Remove the Procharger belt first.
Looks like you need to loosen the four mounting bolts for the Procharger bracket
and then you only need to remove the one bolt and Counter Bore Tube Spacer to get the belt around the power steering pump.
Note: "You may have to" loosen the bolts all the way so you can slip the spacer off the Boss.

Suggestion: This is a good time to replace the belt Tensioner, I get almost three years out of it before I start having belts shred
Don’t need to remove old belt since it snapped, I need to remove the whole head unit though right? Also when installing the new one do I wrap it around all the accessories first than procharger last?

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
Don’t need to remove old belt since it snapped, I need to remove the whole head unit though right? Also when installing the new one do I wrap it around all the accessories first than procharger last?
Do I need to drain the procharger oil?
also gonna go buy some better tools. Any recommendations other than a nice socket set?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, which belt broke???

There are two separate belts!!!

DID YOU BREAK BOTH???

Because it sure sounds like it, s
ince you're looking to warp around all the pulleys with one belt.

One is the OEM Serpentine belt and it runs on the pulley behind the harmonic balancer.
The other is just a belt and only for the Procharger and that runs on the pulley
(that gets added on for the Procharger kit) in front of the Harmonic balancer.

The belt for the Procharger just slips on.

BUT READ THE INSTRUCTION!!!, on the proper way to adjust the Procharger tensioner!!!
If you don't do it right you will ruin the bearings in the Procharger and/or break the belt again.

Please do yourself a favor......
and get on a computer and open up the .pdf and read the instructions, print out the pages you need.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T
Reaction score
Ok, which belt broke???

There are two separate belts!!!

DID YOU BREAK BOTH???

Because it sure sounds like it, s
ince you're looking to warp around all the pulleys with one belt.

One is the OEM Serpentine belt and it runs on the pulley behind the harmonic balancer.
The other is just a belt and only for the Procharger and that runs on the pulley
(that gets added on for the Procharger kit) in front of the Harmonic balancer.

The belt for the Procharger just slips on.

BUT READ THE INSTRUCTION!!!, on the proper way to adjust the Procharger tensioner!!!
If you don't do it right you will ruin the bearings in the Procharger and/or break the belt again.

Please do yourself a favor......
and get on a computer and open up the .pdf and read the instructions, print out the pages you need.

Attachments

• 697B84F4-4D2F-4D3B-B7D0-3FD3070114A7.png
    697B84F4-4D2F-4D3B-B7D0-3FD3070114A7.png
    366.4 KB · Views: 16

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK, Procharger doesn't have that number on their website
and that number (PMFS1A-001_I_10+R...) doesn't show results for me on Google.

@Tristan Shepersky

OK,
I found the instructions of that belt pattern you have pictured on the phone.
On Procharger's website it's for the 2007-2009 Expedition.
Page 10 in the installation instructions:
Screenshot 2021-08-22 195228.jpg

I see what's going on, you have the HO (non-Stage II) and that's the shared 6 rib belt system.
The Stage II Procharger is the second kit they made for the Raptor and that has a dedicated 8 rib belt system for the Procharger.
Stupid for Procharger not putting both install instructions on the website.
So, I apologize for confusing things.

And I still think you don't need to remove the Procharger unit to replace the belt.
and then you only need to remove the one bolt and Counter Bore Tube Spacer to get the belt around everything.

You're going to have use a 1/2 break bar to pull or push the OEM tensioner down to allow the belt to slip over on to the last pulley you choose and at the same time with the Procharger tensioner.
I would pick the Procharger pulley for the last one if I was doing it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T
Reaction score
OK, Procharger doesn't have that number on their website
and that number (PMFS1A-001_I_10+R...) doesn't show results for me on Google.

@Tristan Shepersky

OK,
I found the instructions of that belt pattern you have pictured on the phone.
On Procharger's website it's for the 2007-2009 Expedition.
Page 10 in the installation instructions:
View attachment 316778

I see what's going on, you have the HO (non-Stage II) and that's the shared 6 rib belt system.
The Stage II Procharger is the second kit they made for the Raptor and that has a dedicated 8 rib belt system for the Procharger.
Stupid for Procharger not putting both install instructions on the website.
So, I apologize for confusing things.

And I still think you don't need to remove the Procharger unit to replace the belt.
and then you only need to remove the one bolt and Counter Bore Tube Spacer to get the belt around everything.

You're going to have use a 1/2 break bar to pull or push the OEM tensioner down to allow the belt to slip over on to the last pulley you choose and at the same time with the Procharger tensioner.
I would pick the Procharger pulley for the last one if I was doing it.

Thanks for all the input man, greatly appreciated! I’ve done routine oil changes on it but is there any other maintenance you recommend? And I can’t find the tensioner online, do you have the part # I can look up? Thanks in advance