Power steering system upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strafe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I now have my RPG PSR and my SDHQ steering fluid cooler installed but now can see another weak spot in the system and want to fix those. Looking for information from anyone who may have done the same but want to upgrade my supply and return hoses. I have the OEM part numbers but not sure weather upgrading to higher quality hoses are worth it or a danger. I am most concerned about the return hose as it is so thin I can see it swelling well steering and this is a big concern. So anyone done this upgrade with words of sage advise?

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I now have my RPG PSR and my SDHQ steering fluid cooler installed but now can see another weak spot in the system and want to fix those. Looking for information from anyone who may have done the same but want to upgrade my supply and return hoses. I have the OEM part numbers but not sure weather upgrading to higher quality hoses are worth it or a danger. I am most concerned about the return hose as it is so thin I can see it swelling well steering and this is a big concern. So anyone done this upgrade with words of sage advise?

Why would you install an additional cooler living in Alberta?

KX250R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found that a larger tank and inline cooler made a huge improvement in how the PS worked for me. Running it offroad was cooking the PS fluid with the stock setup. I switched to a Howe tank with spinoff filter, their inline cooler, upgraded hoses and also had them port out the pump for improved flow. IMO , if you go to the effort of adding a tank and cooler why not improve the hoses. I have had no issue with my setup, everything stays cool now.
Photo was from the install process, still missing some of the hoses and the spin off filter that goes on the bottom. The boys at Outlaw Raptor hooked me up!
4808-psr-cooler.jpg

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My concern is with overcooling living in a cold climate.
Adding a second cooler without thermostatic control could be problematic.

OP
OP
strafe

strafe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you saw how burned the fluid was after the hard trips out we took you would understand why the extra cooler. We do run up to 29C up here and even in the winter Calgary sees 15C regularly due to Chinooks. Problem is only the weak OEM return and supply hoses.