Possible Alaskan Road Trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
SVTRay

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ray,

Thanks for starting the thread, I will be interested in making this expedition. The Alaska Ferry is a possibility if time is an issue on a return trip to Seattle. I will post more info when I get some time. I have some links that may be of interest.

Hey no problem,

Ya, I ferry over to Seattle would work....maybe check out the Red woods.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Spare Tire Thoughts

As I started, I'm just now starting to roll this trip over in my mind.

One thing I'm thinking about is the unique tire size used on our Raptors. The Raptor does come with a spare but I'm thinking about buying an extra original wheel and tire giving me two spares. In the even something happens, it could take days for a dealer or tire shop to order one. I don't think room will be an issue either. I'm thinking either throw it in the bed of the truck or strap it down on top of the bed cover. I would also throw a can of fix-a-flat in the truck road side bag.

Ray-
This is something I have pondered myself. I started a new thread with some thoughts to keep your trip planning from getting off-topic:
http://www.svtoffroad.com/showthread.php?1896-Alternate-Spare-Tire-Carriers

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is something that I would possibly be interested in. I went to Alaska a while back during the summer months and it was gorgeous, did some fishing and went to Denali Nat. Park. The time-frame will certainly be an issue for me, but I will certainly give it some thought.

Been dying to get back to Alaska.

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If we can set this up for late next summer I may be in...

As to concerns about tires... our size is actually fairly standard. I will bet good money that a 35 inch on 17 is all cover the place in AK. It is here in TX and was in northern MI.

OP
OP
SVTRay

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If we can set this up for late next summer I may be in...

I'm still reading up on it but I believe late summer is the better time. The Mosquitoes get really bad during the summer but start dieing down around late summer. The weather is cooler as well.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
:wow:Spent some time around Denali years ago around the first of June and the skeetos were the size of hummingbirds.:wow:

OP
OP
SVTRay

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you plan on making this trip you may want to pick up a copy of the Milepost. This is an annual publication similar to those RV magazine/travel guides and talks about each part of taking an Alaskan road trip. I heard about it from lvdezertdawg and picked up a copy. This book/magazine is chopped full of information from start to finish. Anyhow, you should be able to pick one up at your local book store under travel but if not here is a place to order one online.

http://shop.themilepost.com/index.php?p=product&id=10&parent=0