Portable hard drives.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

EdgeR6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FAT32Format works as well...
Download FAT32format 1.05 Free - FAT32format is able to easily format large hard disks in FAT32, even in Windows XP. - Softpedia

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

By the way, before you run out and buy a gigantic hard drive, be aware there is a file count limit on voice commands.

At least this was true in my 2011 ecoboost. at around the 15,000 song count the nice ford lady came on and said: "Due to the number of tracks, voice commands are not supported." or some such thing. AARG!

I haven't had a chance to confirm this with the 2013 and MFT.

I only got a TB one casue it was the cheapest. LOL. I'm formating it now with DOS. LOL. See if it works. I read that about file count limit before I posted this when I serached. I found like 10 thread but nobody stated FAT32. I didn't read the owners manuel. So I don't know if its in there where not.

golferdude1971

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I only got a TB one casue it was the cheapest. LOL. I'm formating it now with DOS. LOL. See if it works. I read that about file count limit before I posted this when I serached. I found like 10 thread but nobody stated FAT32. I didn't read the owners manuel. So I don't know if its in there where not.

Fat32 is right around 65535 for a max file count per folder. One of the things to take into some consideration is the method in which files are indexed. From personal experience, I had a 500GB WD external drive(with 1900 songs), and SYNC in my 2011 FX4 would periodically crap out to due to the large volume. So far in my '13 raptor, MFT has not crapped out with 1900 on my 16GB usb flash drive. Also, mechanical drives take a beating in vehicles.....thing of it as a big record player. Flash memory is better cuz there are no moving parts. Just something to consider.

Last edited:

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good old Microsoft...FAT32 is slower, less safe, less efficient with space...i guess that is why PCs use said format...

OP
OP
E

EdgeR6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My laptop has teo solid state hard drives. And it is fast as hell. Its a sony also. I seem to have a lot of sony stuff. Hard drive is still formatting. What I should of done is only formatted half at fat 32, I wonder if have two partitions would confuse MFT.

Jay.gordon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just posted this on another thread about thumb drives. I used to have a 20 GB external (usb2) with thousands of songs and in the '11 the port is right by the riser switches and is a pain in the a$$ to have the cord running along the shifter. I got Super Mini 16GB Buffalo Thumbkey Flash Drives | Mini Gadgets at Ken's Gadgets and did a transfer of 99% of the tunes on the 20gb and there is no cords and no noticeable loss of tunes, because seriously how often do you listen to your copy "It's Raining Men" by the Weather Girls that you downloaded for a video you got of your brother dancing when he was drunk?
That's all hypothetical of course...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erikn