Phoenix Android Audio retains Sync 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXBrian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went ahead and pulled some of the relevant info to get it all in one spot.
If I get a few minutes this weekend, I'll try and do a quick write up of the install steps as watching the video is a little slow and aggravating. lol

The unit:
https://www.phoenixautomotiveinc.co...on-radio-for-ford-f-150-f-250-f-350-2015-2019

Use code raptor10 for 10%

Phoenix Install Video:

Tools needed:
You need a Torx 10, 7mm socket with extension and two Phillips head (#2 and a small phillips)

Firmware Update:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ubh6eqqhxy7rl8b/AAAJrP7oSam-6v0PwVj6GU6Ya?dl=0

Firmware Update:

1. Load img file on to a Fat32 USB

2. Insert USB to radio

3. Radio should start updating automatically.

Canbus update:

1. Put the file on your thumb drive and make sure you don’t have a (1), (2), etc. at the end of the file name.

2. Insert thumb drive in the tablets USB port.

3. Verify the USB symbol appears at the top of the tablet.

4. Press settings.

5. Press system info.

6. Press and hold on screen until pin pad appears.

7. Type 7890 then OK.

8. Press MCU upgrade.

9. Press CAN upgrade.

10. Make sure plug box is indicated at the top of the screen.

11. Press simple upgrade.

12. Should start download automatically from there.

Adjust Screen Frequency/Refresh:
Go to settings
System info. Press and hold on the middle of the screen.
Enter code 7890.
Then under system settings. Scroll down until you see screen frequency. Change to high.
Save and reboot.

Adjust Screen Rendering:
Force GPU render and disable hardware overlay or whatever it’s called in the same spot under dev options. (need clarification)

How to Change Boot Up Screen:
https://phoenixautomotivellc.freshd...e-boot-up-screen-on-android-tesla-style-unit-

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Copied yours to first post. The YouTube video didn’t embed however. Thanks Brian.

VegasRaptor18

Reaction score
Just got mine installed, ordered on 2/12 and it arrived a couple says ago. I was part of the clusterF set of orders, hopefully they got their S figured out for future orders.

Install was really easy, took 1.5h from start to finish, used the YouTube video Guy posted as a reference.

I did not connect the included speaker or mic, don’t know if I’m missing anything by not hooking those up. Seems like it’s working fine without it, Siri works etc.

I have the Harman spark with ATT which works fine with the unit.

I still can’t find the “force GPU” option that has been mentioned, maybe my firmware is different, I was able to change the refresh rate to high.

Overall I’m impressed with the unit, fit and finish are great, there are a few buggy things that others have mentioned hopefully they will get fixed in future updates. I need to do more research on the unit and software, seems like there is a lot of customization and tweaking you can do. This is my first android based tablet so I’m not too familiar with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

VegasRaptor18

Reaction score
Any tips on the firmware update?

Guy’s link has 3 files an img, bin, and rar file. The Phoenix upgrade video only shows extracting the img, what do we do with the other two data files? Can’t seem to find any good instructions on updating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ROBERT F HAVENS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rar is a compressed version of the img file. Would have to be uncompressed with winrar winzip or 7zip. The bin is the canbus update.

The img and rar are the latest updates as of February 26th.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

ROBERT F HAVENS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there is at least one post with links to the install videos that Phoenix Radio did. You also look at the Phoenix Radio YouTube channel which also has those videos and many more. A lot of them are universal as far as updates and how to do them.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Shayne

Reaction score
I installed my unit today as well. I am not even remotely competent when it comes to electronics, but the transfer process was fairly straight forward; particularly when watching the Phoenix video. I did install the navigation speaker that came with the kit, but its pretty bad. It got dark on me before I could mess around with the new setup.

I plan to adjust the screen frequency rate tomorrow using the directions above.

I will also try to update the system using the img/rar files tomorrow as well.

Plan on purchasing the AT&T Harman Spark in the next few days.

==================

Questions:

A couple of weeks ago, there was a thread on this system that was 46+ pages long and now the only one I can find is this one....17 Pages....am I missing something?

-- Cant seem to find my heated steering wheel icon...is that function lost with the phoenix system?

-- Is there a way to make the navigation directions override the radio and come through the Raptor system?

-- When hitting the NAV icon on the SYNC 3 interface, it says not functioning, is that Normal?

-- Anyone near Haymarket VA with one of these systems that wants to share lessons learned?

==================

Thanks to TXBrian for consolidating some of the previous thread posts into a single reference location....

ajitpal toor

Reaction score
I’m from Texas I let the car toys to install the unit today I picked up 2018 raptor and when I came back at home I find out these two issuse
Look attach picture
1. I tried to connect my iPhone on console usb and and two extra usb also and Apple car play doesn’t work mobile charging is working in all usb
2. Back up sensor is not working

Is they missed something to connect when they install??
When I spoke with them they said they hooked up everything correctly

A77C84F0-699A-4F64-ACC7-E8648CC20DA2.jpeg

Kona754

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang the more I read the more I realize it might be best to stick with factory sync 3 and just live with the old school look

I wish this thing worked more consistently, I was sooooo close to ordering one up and keep jumping back on here to read any updates and the latest updates don't seem good :(