Phoenix Android Audio retains Sync 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

amp

Reaction score
I live somewhat local to those guys, about 40 mins away, and had them install it yesterday. Took them about 3.5 hrs (original quote was 1.5 hrs), mostly because I think the first guy they put to task didn't have much experience installing at all. The next guy that came along (Chris), spoke great english and seem to know what he was doing, but it still took a while because of bugs that were coming up. For example, when I hit the console button, I get audio for whatever station it was last on, but the console portion of the screen is black. When you shift the truck in reverse, the rear backup camera doesn't come on either because of this bug. When he installed it, he said he has seen that problem before, but thinks it's a software issue that should be resolved soon. The temporary solution to fix that is to unplug/re-plug a short (maybe 2 inch) USB type jumper that is on the back of the unit. This means you have to dismantle the top of your dash in order get to it, and who knows how often I have to keep doing that in order to reset the bug. If it's like what he describes, I can't live with this temporary fix and would rather return the unit and hope they work out the issues.

Another issue is google maps. They have a bug in google maps, which makes it not display cleanly. When the map is open, there is typically a rectangular search window at the top of the screen to type in destinations. Well, rather than it being at the TOP of the screen and not obscuring the map itself, it shows up about 1/3 down from the top of the screen. Chris said that he has told the developers and they're hoping for a software fix. Slightly annoying since I prefer google maps over Waze, but I figure I could live with Waze, and give that a try. So I try Waze, and the app seems to crash often when you start to get fancy and use some of the controls like voice command. If you're just using it for a map to see your surroundings, then it seems to work OK (a little laggy but I would say within automobile standards). Both google and waze maps look fantastic on a large screen like that, but with the bugs, it's hard to get over.

Tried connecting my phone and a USB drive to unit's USB ports, but can't get anything to show up under the "MUSIC" icon. Can't seem to get that figured out. I was able to launch the youtube app, and watch a short video, so that was pretty cool. I'm not expecting to use this like a high performance tablet, and would just be happy with just a solid map function, and music for my truck. Anything more would be gravy. For the most part, I would have to say that the unit I received feels more like an experiment. Fit and finish looks OEM and is very nice. Touch screen lagginess is on par with the average car touch screen system. Don't expect it to be as smooth as a nice tablet, laptop or even your phone.

I'm going to try and bring my truck back to their shop today to have them look it over.

I have 30 days to get a refund.

claustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s a little quirk. I could turn off the temp display, but it’d be nice to have when the console isn’t up.

E8FC37B3-1EC9-4382-82F8-683AC22786D9.jpeg

As others have said, if you have sync set to say, a Sirius station, and switch to an app that takes over audio, when you go back to sync it resets to radio. I’m constantly getting static when switching to console.
Also, the console Sync window is a little squished. It’s easiest to show with the fan or volume overlay. It’s slightly oblong. And yeah, the screen is a little fuzzier than the stock screen.

592DCE52-6E29-4D8D-9313-7E61039C4F09.jpeg

ROBERT F HAVENS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guy,
Can you post your settings and advanced settings the one's you have to enter the 7890 ok for one and 666888 ok for the other? I want to see if one of my settings is different causing my steering wheel prev/next control to not work with the unit.

I have also found where we might be able to change the base white Raptor image if someone knows what it is supposed be named and where it is located on the device. If you settings, System Info, hold screen then enter 7890. Hold the F150 button, it brings up a new settings screen. There you can change both the boot screen image and home screen image (supposedly). However when you try to do something it says Can't find any logo file!

ROBERT F HAVENS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
claustin,

Is that under the dev menu? I’m not seeing a screen refresh option.
Claustin,
It is in the settings. Select the Settings from the top menu of icons. Then on the left side scroll towards the bottom and select System Info. Touch and hold the middle area of text info until a pass code screen shows and enter 7890 and press ok. On the left choose Sys Settings then scroll down the right side and look for Screen Refresh. Choose Hi or High forgot how it was listed then Save and Reboot. I know mine was on Low.

claustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
claustin,

Claustin,
It is in the settings. Select the Settings from the top menu of icons. Then on the left side scroll towards the bottom and select System Info. Touch and hold the middle area of text info until a pass code screen shows and enter 7890 and press ok. On the left choose Sys Settings then scroll down the right side and look for Screen Refresh. Choose Hi or High forgot how it was listed then Save and Reboot. I know mine was on Low.
Thanks found it. Mine was on low also. But it’s still squished and kinda fuzzy. I do have force GPU rendering on also.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not perfect but it’s certainly acceptable

Thanks found it. Mine was on low also. But it’s still squished and kinda fuzzy. I do have force GPU rendering on also.

ROBERT F HAVENS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have compared the measurements more or less and it looks like the portion of the screen used for Sync3 remains the same size even after the update that added the media buttons. So adding the media buttons forced the Sync3 display to be squished top to bottom to make room. Now had the media buttons been placed where the generally less than useful gauges are that would have been a better choice.