PCM Issues after Ford reprogrammed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

killswitch engage

Reaction score
I had mine in last Thursday (November 26th) to have this recall completed:

RECALL #1: 2011-2012 Ford F-150, 2012 Ford Expedition, Ford Mustang, and Lincoln Navigator
UNITS AFFECTED: 201,900, including 184,000 in the U.S. and 17,900 in Canada

This recall stems from a transmission problem--specifically, an issue with the output speed sensor on the transmission's lead frame. The underlying problem appears rooted in the software associated with the powertrain control module, which could cause vehicles to downshift suddenly. According to Ford:

"Under certain conditions, the transmission controls could force a temporary downshift into first gear. Depending on the speed of the vehicle at the time of the downshift, the driver could experience an abrupt speed reduction that could cause the rear tires to slide or lock up. This condition could result in loss of vehicle control, increasing the risk of a crash."

Three accidents have been potentially linked to the problem, but no injuries.

Ford says that dealers will inspect the powertrain control module and upgrade the software if there are no diagnostic trouble codes found. The upgrade will prevent the vehicles from downshifting into first gear if a fault with the output speed sensor takes place. Ford also says that it will replace the lead frame on vehicles that have logged fewer than 150,000 miles.

The recall is limited to vehicles equipped with 6R80 transmissions that were manufactured on the following dates:

2011-2012 Ford F-150 vehicles built at Dearborn Assembly Plant and Kansas City Assembly Plant between August 19, 2011 and March 9, 2012
2012 Ford Expedition vehicles built at Kentucky Truck Plant between August 19, 2011 and December 19, 2011
2012 Ford Mustang vehicles built at Flat Rock Assembly Plant between August 19, 2011 and February 21, 2012
2012 Lincoln Navigator vehicles built at Kentucky Truck Plant between August 19, 2011 and December 17, 2011.

The truck came out worse than when it went in.

When I got it back:
1. RPM's are surging - after driving and coming to stop sign etc. or when braking the RPM's bounce around.

2. My fuel gauge is out to lunch - I ran out of gas with 1/4 tank on the fuel gauge and an estimated 120 km to empty.

3. I can smell fuel in the exhaust.

4. Codes P0420 and P0430 for Banks 1 and 2 came up.

I brought it back to the dealer and they are saying my catalytic converters both need to be replaced. I have a Stainless works exhaust and headers too so they just can't replace them. They didn't even know I had an aftermarket exhaust/headers until I told them.

They claim they've never had an issue with reprogramming the PCM so that can't be the problem.

I've never had a problem with my truck until I brought it to my local dealer. Wish I would have stayed away.

This is going to cost a lot of money because they screwed up the programming somehow.

Anyone else affected by this recall having issues?

OP
OP
K

killswitch engage

Reaction score
Any update on your truck/cause?

Had another dealer reflash the computer and everything is fine now.

Spent months arguing with my local dealer and Ford Canada. I just finally paid another dealer out of town to do it. Last time I deal my local dealer...lol.

sixtwopower

Reaction score
Had another dealer reflash the computer and everything is fine now.

Spent months arguing with my local dealer and Ford Canada. I just finally paid another dealer out of town to do it. Last time I deal my local dealer...lol.

Glad to hear its all good. Did they have to replace the catalytic convertors?

sixtwopower

Reaction score
I have a problem with my fuel gauge that's throwing a Check engine light for the fuel level sensor p0461, also p0420, and p0430 for both catalytic convertors which is similar to your problem. Thanks for posting. I may have the dealer reprogram my computer If this solved your issues.

OP
OP
K

killswitch engage

Reaction score
I have a problem with my fuel gauge that's throwing a Check engine light for the fuel level sensor p0461, also p0420, and p0430 for both catalytic convertors which is similar to your problem. Thanks for posting. I may have the dealer reprogram my computer If this solved your issues.

Yeah hope that solves your issues. Was something changed in your PCM lately by the dealer that could have screwed it up?

If it's cat's and you don't want to spend the money, you could try something like this:

<title>O2 Simulator Mini Cat Cel Fix best oxygen sensor simulator made.

Used these on a friend's F150 after he removed the cats with some high flow exhaust. It got rid of the error code being thrown by the rear O2 sensors anyways. No guarantee with them and I'm guessing it won't pass an emissions test but is a cheap option to get you by.

Statetraveler

Reaction score
I've had an amazingly horrible experience with my local dealer! I brought my 12 rap in for a 100k trsnny service, rear differential service as nd leaking rear hub and rear drive shaft pin seals. They wanted to do the software recall and I'd said na iv ef been as ll over the country we without any issues so let's not cause any! This guy talked me into it..........my tranny was over filled by 2.5 quarts, seals both started leak within a month, rear differential cover as nd tranny covervwasnt even removed and all work was done in less that 2 hours!

Icing on the cake is now my trsnny is throwing code p0739 I think rarely like every 300 miles when going uphill in 5th. I'll bet it needs as reflash or something but man, I swear Ford came out with that update to cause more problems and bring guys in with ghost to chase!

Topping it off we then I picked it up there was a ton of air in the coolant system and a random leaking lower radiator hose..........

WTF

Statetraveler

Reaction score
Oh and I guess I'm going to just get a 5 star tuner and get rid of these so called Ford master mechanics! F up my rap? I'll beat some arse!