Payload - does the Gen 3 (37") carry load better than Gen 2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Viking84

Reaction score
To anyone who has swapped their Gen 2 for a Gen 3 - does the Gen 3 handle load in the pickup bed better than the Gen 2?

I currently have a Gen 2, with a roof top tent mounted over the bed. I'm looking into mounting more gear, maybe changing to a truck camper (Alu-Cab style) for increased winter comfort, but my Gen 2 is already looking lower than stock at the back, and due to Norwegian laws for modding vehicles I can't easily fit a leveling kit or other mechanical changes as they aren't TÜV approved

Would a Gen 3 suit my needs better? Looking at a 2022 37" with all the goodies, from the specs it appears to have a nearly 200kg higher payload rating which would cover me nicely, but if that is just a number on paper and the truck will still squat massively then it doesn't help me much ;)

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To anyone who has swapped their Gen 2 for a Gen 3 - does the Gen 3 handle load in the pickup bed better than the Gen 2?

I currently have a Gen 2, with a roof top tent mounted over the bed. I'm looking into mounting more gear, maybe changing to a truck camper (Alu-Cab style) for increased winter comfort, but my Gen 2 is already looking lower than stock at the back, and due to Norwegian laws for modding vehicles I can't easily fit a leveling kit or other mechanical changes as they aren't TÜV approved

Would a Gen 3 suit my needs better? Looking at a 2022 37" with all the goodies, from the specs it appears to have a nearly 200kg higher payload rating which would cover me nicely, but if that is just a number on paper and the truck will still squat massively then it doesn't help me much ;)
I think the truck will still squat but not as much.

raisins

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much does it cost you to import one?

OP
OP
Viking84

Viking84

Reaction score
How much does it cost you to import one?
An absolutely obscene amount I have my truck registered as a "commercial vehicle", which means I have to take the second row of seats out and class it as essentially a van. For the 2022 Raptor that puts the cost at 175k USD. If I wanted it with all 5 seats we are talking around 250k USD. But, like in the US, they retain their value remarkably well, so it's actually not the worst car I have owned with respect to overall cost of ownership. Surprisingly cheap to service too.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
An absolutely obscene amount I have my truck registered as a "commercial vehicle", which means I have to take the second row of seats out and class it as essentially a van. For the 2022 Raptor that puts the cost at 175k USD. If I wanted it with all 5 seats we are talking around 250k USD. But, like in the US, they retain their value remarkably well, so it's actually not the worst car I have owned with respect to overall cost of ownership. Surprisingly cheap to service too.
Wow, that’s insane.

OP
OP
Viking84

Viking84

Reaction score
Yeah, vehicles are taxed based on CO2 emissions and weight here in Norway, which hits big 4x4's especially hard. If it wasn't for the possibility to have them registered as commercial vehicles I don't think anyone would buy them at all. Even a Toyota Hilux is over 100k here. Tough place to like cars! At least the used market is fairly strong, so the actual cost of ownership isn't that insane.

raisins

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeez! That’s insane my friend. Although in the end we are blessed to be able to afford these toys, whichever way. Cheers from overseas!

MrHomeGuy

Reaction score
I think the truck will still squat but not as much.
On my gen 2, I added a leaf spring to carry my 1200 pound Scout. That worked well. The Gen 3 needed a different solution with it's coid spring and I just added the "made for dodge 2019" Airlift airbags that sit inside the coil. That eliminates the squat. - I have this on another post. I have a new www.pullkitchen.com and iKamper mini that I am planning to sell since purchasing the Olympic Scout.

Air Lift 60828HD 1000 Air Springs for 2019-2021 Dodge Ram 1500 / Ram 1500​

Attachments

• 51R6kFnjmQS._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    51R6kFnjmQS._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 7