Panoramic roof noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not to be doom and gloom, but don't be surprised if yours breaks due to the glass sticking to the seal, since it hasn't been moved in a while.

Breaks, as in shatters?? Or, starts making noises??

I will open it today if that will help. Mine sits in a garage 95% of its life.

PB65stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The most common problem I've seen seems to be the tracks breaking from the pressure and the roof being stuck open.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The most common problem I've seen seems to be the tracks breaking from the pressure and the roof being stuck open.

OK, thanks. I had it tinted with clear ceramic about a month ago, so I know it was opened a couple of times when they were working on it.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

As a follow-up, I opened my roof several times in the last couple of weeks and everything seems to be in working order. I am glad I avoided a problem!

swanstreaming

Reaction score
I tried the White Lightning solution. We will see how long it fixes it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swanstreaming

Reaction score
I tried the White Lightning solution. We will see how long it fixes it!

Turns out only a day.

I had the TSB done while it was in for the hard-shift reprogram. I’m not optimistic that it will stop the creak/pop. Sounds like the guys who had their rails replaced have the only sure-fire fix. :(

invalidusername

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read a whole bunch of these threads across a bunch of forums. I may have found one of the culprits and is an easy fix by yourself with some lube.

My noise is on the passenger side and it sounds like something tapping on something right above the passenger head.

I found these threads and lubed the window seals all the way around with 3M silicone. Noise never changed.
I added felt on the flappy thing that goes up and down between the two windows because that makes contact plastic to plastic at the sides. Noise never changed.

I started jiggling everything including lightly bumping the glass on different spots with my fist.

On the window that moves, there's this accordion plastic flap that covers up the track and greasy parts.

Pressing against the accordion flap around the center area I replicated the tapping noise. When you pull that flap back to expose what's back there. Is the cover covering up the plastic tracks people post about breaking?

At the time I didn't think of using my silicone and ended up shoving a small amount of Lucas marine grease. The green stuff. I put the lube on the pin that slides/rolls back and forth across the track slot. Since I was in a hurry I only got a little grease in and investigated a little by tilting and sliding the window to see the behavior of that pin. The noise went away! The noise still happens in very particular situations and its just 1 tap rather than a series of tapping the whole time down a bumpy road.

I will revisit this on my window when I get the chance and slather on a bigger glob of grease to see what happens and report back.

I'm kind of hesitant having the dealer get their grubby hands on my interior and staining or breaking things so I'd love to be able to fix this myself.

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine had a rattle and it turned out to be the retractable screen track was broken, the dealer put in a new one and re adjusted and re torqued everything. It’s all quite now.