Painted Body Color Skid Plate Anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RubyDaCherry

Reaction score
Meh.

Hit that skid plate with some large tree limbs and ding it up a little, maybe add in a few strikes with a ball-peen hammer to simulate some rock impacts.

Give that truck the non-poseur look.
:biggrin:

Eh, doing mine also. Either powder-coating to match the flares/bumpers or just a basic line-x or something. Not the fact of prettying it up or avoiding tree limbs and dinging it up a little, it's the fact that the factory silver skid plate looks out of place being the only thing silver and the finish makes it look like a Tonka Truck.

DMays

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I painted mine before adding the ADD bumper. It was super easy but I had to be really careful taping the lower piece on the bumper to paint. Tight areas with curves arent easy with painters tape.

RubyDaCherry

Reaction score
Powder coated satin black. Also remember the lower portion of the bumper is painted silver to give the look that the skid plate is continued higher. So you’ll need to have that addressed as well.

8e910efb67b83a584da221c996446aca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks as it should! Either painting mine the J7 Magnetic color to match the grille/flares or powder-coating it Crystal Grey from Prismatic as I found that to be the closest match out of all of their grey. How did you address powder coating the lower portion of the bumper? The skid-plate is easily removable, what about the bumper portion?

Thanks!!!

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FYI, I just used regular old flat black automotive spray paint on my, followed by a couple coats of clear coat. Didn't remove the plate, just taped everything off. Pretty easy. It's been over a year now, and it definitely has come off in a couple places, but only seen if you're lookin for it really. I'm not taking it offroad but a few times a year. If you're going out once a week, might not be a good idea, but for others, it's fine.

REMIX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh boy, thanks a lot! I'm bored so buying a couple cans of black Plasti-Dip because oil change soon and I always remove the skid plate for that.

Here's a wild question: anyone temporarily Plastidipped the front part of the hood for a long road trip? No PPF on mine and I was thinking about doing this for a X country trip. Maybe tape it off a few inches beyond the front lip and giving it a good thick coat.