Painted Body Color Skid Plate Anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tlh235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks killer. I’m gonna have to do this. Care to share what brand spray-in bed liner you used and any tips for application. I’m more engine, suspension and wiring guy. Painting isn’t my forté. [emoji41]

Rust-Oleum Truck Bed spray Bedliner. I removed the skid plate, did a quick light sand just to add some grit, cleaned off, and dried it. Once dry, i sprayed it with a couple light layers of Rust-Oleum Adhesion Promoter. After that on to the Bedliner spray. Just do light coats until you have full coverage. And let it dry between coats and once you are done according to the directions on the cans. I am in no way an expert at paint, so if i can do it, anyone can. And to be honest, its under the truck....so no one is going to be looking as close to it as if you were painted the side of your ride. As for the part of the other small upper section that is also gray and kind of connected to the bumper, i didn't remove anything. prior to putting the skid plate back on, i just masked everything on the front off and sprayed the small section of gray that is connected to the bumper while it was still on the truck.

here's a picture i found with the front masked off

I really like this stuff, i have sprayed my side steps on my Jeep Wrangler. I even used it for the inside of my hardtop on my jeep wrangler as for some reason Jeep thought it was a good idea to make the inside of the hardtop white(which stays dirty and just looks bad compared to all the black and gray that makes up the interior). here's a picture also of my wrangler hard top that i painted with this stuff.

IMG_8040.jpg

IMG_4458_1498512543899.jpg

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I too have used the Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating with good success. But be advised, it is not rock strike proof.

NorCalGen2

Reaction score
Looks killer guys, makes a huge difference imo. I dropped mine off yesterday to get powder coated black, should be ready next week.

ALE33x

Reaction score
Love the Rust-Oleum job you did. Looks great, and you're right. Its under the truck, not going to be looking super close.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Would somebody please tell me why some posters here obscure their license plates when they post a photo of their rig?

Tlh235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we are embarrased by the immature vanity plate that we thought was cool when we first got our truck...

wkasak_17Raptor

Reaction score
There is no real good reason because you can't blur real life but it's easy/quick to do so why not is what I go with. I will never know if it actually stopped any unauthorized searches for information but worth the 5 seconds for me to never know. I don't have vanity plates just my government issued boring letters/numbers.

Last edited: