GEN 2 OVERPRICED BUMPERS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

12ozcurls

Reaction score
I’m sure I’ll receive lashing from everyone but here’s my rant. I’ve built bumpers from scratch (although two interstate moves later I no longer have the tools to do so). I’ve welded bumpers from the “weld-yourself” kits etc etc etc. I’ve bought bumpers for numerous trucks. Bumpers that contain far more engineering and steel that a pre runner-style bumper. All have been a mere fraction of the cost that companies like ADD and SVC charge for their bumpers. The cost to manufacture a quality bumper is minimal. These two companies charge in excess of $2k for a bumper that you then have to pay extra for an intercooler relocation kit or ACC relocation kit. They could easily maintain a profitable margin if these bumpers were priced at half their current retail price. There is simply no competition so they take advantage of the Raptor community. These aren’t cutting edge pieces of technology. They’re steel welded bumpers. I’m not sure there is a solution short of starting a new business venture with appropriately priced bumpers but really felt the need to call something for what it is. I will now turn 180° and reveal my back as the caning begin.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go ahead and start your own manufacturing business. You'll quickly learn much of the cost comes from rent, insurance, marketing, employee overhead, etc and not raw material cost.

Sig Fanboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I concur with your thoughts. I own a small business and understand operating costs. I’m far from a master fabricator but have been welding and fabricating in so much as it pertains to my business for my own purposes and built some pre runner bumpers for a 92 Toyota years ago.
As a recent Porsche owner and current owner of two Raptors I have to say the Raptor “ tax” is as exorbitant as the Porsche “tax”. I lucked out and found a used ADD bumper near me and got it for about 1/2 price. The cost of lights for said bumper will make a man light headed. Currently looking at rear springs and a bump stop kit but bewildered at what direction to go. I’ve had countless lifted and modified trucks and these are my first Raptors, I just love driving my Gen 2 Scab 800A truck but man the cost of my” wish list” is getting up there.

OP
OP
12ozcurls

12ozcurls

Reaction score
@DFS - I’m intimately aware of the additional costs of business ownership. Their product line as a whole pays for this. Why can I buy a bumper with more steel, more welds, more fabrication for anything other than a raptor for half the price? I really don’t want any of this to be a mud-slinging post. That defeats the purpose. I’m hoping for a constructive dialog. Basic truth is that they are taking advantage of the Raptor community since there is no competition.

Last edited:
OP
OP
12ozcurls

12ozcurls

Reaction score
I concur with your thoughts. I own a small business and understand operating costs. I’m far from a master fabricator but have been welding and fabricating in so much as it pertains to my business for my own purposes and built some pre runner bumpers for a 92 Toyota years ago.
As a recent Porsche owner and current owner of two Raptors I have to say the Raptor “ tax” is as exorbitant as the Porsche “tax”. I lucked out and found a used ADD bumper near me and got it for about 1/2 price. The cost of lights for said bumper will make a man light headed. Currently looking at rear springs and a bump stop kit but bewildered at what direction to go. I’ve had countless lifted and modified trucks and these are my first Raptors, I just love driving my Gen 2 Scab 800A truck but man the cost of my” wish list” is getting up there.
Exactly the kind of experience I expected this post would elicit from honest replies. Raptor Tax. Thanks brother.

HOLLYWOOD 1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cost of just about anything “off road” is greatly exaggerated unfortunately. You have 2 options, to buy, or not to buy. Companies like ADD, SVC, RPG, etc. spend time and money designing and testing new products before releasing to the general public. I run stuff from all 3 companies I mentioned, and others on my Raptor and Bronco. Once again, there will always be 2 options.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@DFS - I’m intimately aware of the additional costs of business ownership. Their product line as a whole pays for this. Why can I buy a bumper with more steel, more welds, more fabrication for anything other than a raptor for half the price? I really don’t want any of this to be a mud-slinging post. That defeats the purpose. I’m hoping for a constructive dialog. Basic truth is that they are taking advantage of the Raptor community since there is no competition.
Your original post is full of hyperbole and conjecture, so if there's any "mud-slinging" it's because of your own false narrative.
1. It's a free country, they can charge what they want.
2. If you can do it better, then quit complaining and do it. I'll buy one of your bumpers with a workmanship warranty for $1,000. Good luck scaling this business.
3. They are in this to make money, not to compare their pricing to the cost of every "master fab rat" that can do it for less.