Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Overland Raptors

Discussion in 'Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]' started by Cory s, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Cory s

Cory s Full Access Member

Post em if you got em

I will be doing the transamerican trail in June for 3 weeks. I’ve laid my truck out in my head a hundred times. Would like to see some others set ups.

TheClaw likes this.
  2. f150jack

f150jack Full Access Member

ADD has a rack on bed of there raptor at Sema show. Should have more info on that in couple weeks.

3. Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk Full Access Member

4. f150jack

f150jack Full Access Member

yeah that one I do like alot especially since it's a low profile rack.

5. badm0t0rfinger

badm0t0rfinger Full Access Member

The low profile rack is great if the only thing you put on it is a RTT or stuff that doesn't extend over the cab like a bike. I have longboards and kayaks on my rack more than an RTT so I opted for a taller one that allows things to clear the cab.

Cory s likes this.
  6. Vegas_Sirk

Good point but couldn't you just stick those in the bed? The problem with RTT is they add a lot of weight high up which affects handling and fuel economy. Thats why I personally like it behind the cab. I also like that set up as the rack comes off easy for days you need to load tall items in the truck (like buying a new BBQ), and works with a roll top cover.

7. TheClaw

TheClaw Member

Keep a look out on the dynamic weight limit if you plan on overlanding or trailing with the rack on. As the frames might break under pressure. We have aluminum beds that flex. Llod has a video on racks and his broke on his taco. I’m a fan of the skybox mini since it’ll fit over our beds. But won’t be available till March 2020

8. badm0t0rfinger

badm0t0rfinger Full Access Member

Completely agree with the RTT adding weight, and increasing center of gravity but say you use the RTT twice a month is it really worth it to have your rack only be able to be used with the RTT? Plus for me having a rack that goes above the cab works. My 8 foot surfboard hangs out almost 2 feet when angled into the bed, let alone my longboard. My kayak wouldn't fit at all. However I have mounts for both on my rack.

Compared one of shorter boards (7'6") in the bed...

[​IMG]

and on the rack.

[​IMG]

Does it have its downsides? Yeah for sure, the RTT is a bitch to get on and off, but honestly if I found myself in a position where I needed my RTT all the time I would just get a trailer.

Zeke555 likes this.
  9. adllewis42

adllewis42 Full Access Member

I don't know how much "overlanding" I do, but we get around. In the past,I had a Retrax tonneau cover with a KB Voodoo rack. The setup was great but when I 'm trying to take my wife, my kid, and my German Shepherd, it doesn't quite work for us. I swapped it out for a Snugtop and I'm much happier. I think I'm gonna change the tent too but that's another story. I'm debating on if I want to add a bed slide or not ...

IMG_3522.jpg IMG_3633.jpg IMG_20191031_182755.jpg IMG_20191102_132222.jpg

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    wweaver, 91Eunos, Nood1es and 7 others like this.
  10. Vegas_Sirk

Makes total sense. I guess it just depends on your needs. I don't surf living in Idaho, but I'm out in the mountains camping all summer long so the RTT would be on the truck all summer. In the winter it would be off and Front Runner racks have ski/snowboard mounts that I can swap on to it for my gear and the roll top cover will keep the rest of my stuff dry and out of the snow.

In the end I guess it just depends on personal needs.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    badm0t0rfinger likes this.