Overheating issues in mountain areas....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK I've been noticing before when I go up to the mountains that I would see it running hotter and even sometimes the over heat light popped on and once I let off the gas it would lower on its own pretty quick and I'd smell coolant so upon checking it each time it looks like it sprays coolant from the coolant tank cap on top from pressure or idk. But today I was going and its 32 degrees through the pass it was dry so I just went wot passing some cars then shortly after damn light comes on! And this time ***** hot 260f I pulled over popped the hood and was steaming like a chimney from coolant all over the damn motor. I waited a bit started again it starts to climb again on idle to 230 so I let it sit some more reflashed my tune, added some cold water that I had to make it to the gas station which wasn't far away thankfully, got a gallon of coolant and it nearly took it all, shocked how much it sprayed out, the cap seems to be loose though not sure if they all feel like that and again it seems likes it's spraying from the cap since it's wet from there and down. I see people do radiator changes and thermostat changes but still seem to run into overheating time to time. When not in elevation it usually doesn't go past 230 on the hardest driving. Any one else experience this? After putting the coolant and reflashed the tune I just drove it normally at speed limit and it didn't heat up any more the rest of the trip.

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you flash back to stock does it overheat? That would be an easy answer to those issues. If it still overheats it could be air in the system or a thermostat issue.

I'd flash back to stock, bleed the hell out of the system, and try a new radiator cap and see if that fixes the issue before you reapply your tune.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Yeah, check the cap. If it doesn't hold pressure it will boil over. Next in line would be the thermostat. All assuming the fans are working.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So to clarify here, is it spraying from the radiator cap or the overflow tank cap? The overflow is not pressurized. Was the system overfilled initially? When the truck sits overnight is the level in the overflow at the "cold" level? Look under your truck and see if there are any leaks in the front.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
So to clarify here, is it spraying from the radiator cap or the overflow tank cap? The overflow is not pressurized. Was the system overfilled initially? When the truck sits overnight is the level in the overflow at the "cold" level? Look under your truck and see if there are any leaks in the front.

The tank cap clearly says 21 psi on it.

BHook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tank is an extension of the radiator?

YES

If your cap is not holding pressure get a new one.

If the overflow tank is warped where the cap seals to it a new cap won't help (seen this on an old Dodge).