Out of State Purchase and shipping to CA - Concerns

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Dirt_Crusted_Raptor

Reaction score
I just went through the stress of buying without driving or seeing in person. I got multiple walk around videos, chatted on the phone a few times and asked as many questions as possible. I'm in CA as well and purchased in Texas. The entire experience was brand new for me, including shipping a car from out of state. To sum it up, all went well! No issues with shipping and truck was as promised. No regrets. Good luck to you and your journey. Its stressful for sure

How much money did you save? Thanks

Kona754

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saved a few grand. In the end it was worth it. Shipper communicated with me well and was on time. Dealer got ample videos and pics to try and ease the stress of not seeing the truck in person

bismuth01

Reaction score
For those from California who purchased new and out of state, was “ca emissions” required on the window sticker to register with dmv?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Dirt_Crusted_Raptor

Reaction score
I saved a few grand. In the end it was worth it. Shipper communicated with me well and was on time. Dealer got ample videos and pics to try and ease the stress of not seeing the truck in person

I might hit you up for the shipper if I buy out of state.

From my research I can get a new 2018 shipped and out the door for 73k. Used local less then 10,000 miles it’s going to be about 68k.

MO to CA

Reaction score
For those from California who purchased new and out of state, was “ca emissions” required on the window sticker to register with dmv?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Window sticker doesn't mean anything to DMV. All that matters is that it has the CA Emissions code on the sticker under the hood. Smog place will hook it up via the OBDII and verify that your truck is meeting the standard. Aside from that, the truck must not have any modifications to the emissions system when they do the visual inspection. All Raptors have the correct CA compliant sticker and equipment.

MO to CA

Reaction score

Who did you end up using for shipping? Going through the search right now to ship mine from MO. Seems to be a lot of unscrupulous shippers out there...

Kona754

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who did you end up using for shipping? Going through the search right now to ship mine from MO. Seems to be a lot of unscrupulous shippers out there...

I actually found a local shipper that strictly does runs from Texas to California and anything in between so he wouldn't help your scenario. It becomes a little nerve racking but if you find one they should provide you with the drivers number (they did in my case) and I was able to speak to the driver before hand to get a little more comfortable. He also sent me texts with updates on location and ETA and all. It worked out really well.

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's what you will need to register your Raptor in CA:
Weight certificate from Weighmaster in Truck scale.
Smog Certificate
DMV inspection under hood
Sales Tax money and registration money

It was easy and though DMV seemed bothered by the inspection, I could care less - do your job!

Total expense was a little over $6K for the process.

svt1998gt

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can use uship, they have some great prices as shippers will bid for your business (reverse auction). You can choose from some of the top carriers. Basic shipments are your uncovered but if you have extra cash, you can get yours shipped in a covered truck. My brother in law shipped his porsche turbo from San Diego to Dallas and it went well. I have shipped two cars from TX to CA and went through uship. The price is upfront and you can pay uship and turn around and give the truck driver the code when you accept delivery.

Hope that helps.