Our Engine’s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the post :) I will do a bit more research and I may swap to a Amsoil or Mobil. So you omitted the ones with additives, as in detergents?
Yes oils that were mixed with any kind of additional additive were omitted. I only went up to 30 or so but his list goes to 150+ oils...

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Last thing, a good tip is if your truck is sitting for a few days and you are going to drive it. Hold down the gas pedal and turn the truck on. This cycles the engine without it actually running. Which helps build pressure and gets oil moving.

Yeah I've started doing this and notice it does make a difference.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes oils that were mixed with any kind of additional additive were omitted. I only went up to 30 or so but his list goes to 150+ oils...

I do appreciate your research. I saw that Motorcraft was not even in your top ones was it?

New Nick at JDM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Motorcraft oil is made by Mobil last I checked.

Oil discussions can turn into rabbit holes pretty quickly, but at the end of the day no one knows your engine better than the team of engineers behind it. Planed obsolescence is always lurking in the shadows unless made obvious, but it may be more beneficial to keep on top of oil level and tighten intervals, rather than change the oil manufacturer.

Last edited:

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hillbilly bob posts a vid on YouTube.. must be legit. Quit using Mobile 1 guys or your Raptor will implode. Seriously. I’ve been using it for years with great results but now I’m switching to Amsoil to pay 3 x as much for 3-5k mile intervals. Can’t use bottom of the barrel.

I only posted it to show that there is a full synthetic Motorcraft oil...nothing more. There was someone that said Motorcraft only makes a synthetic blend

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This video literally shows you nothing.... it only shows how many anti wear additives in PPM there are... this tells you NOTHING

There’s 0 ****** oil analysis at all from black stone labs. It tells you none of the mix or concentrations of the wear additives. It doesn’t tell you the base oil, the pour pour, point flash point, viscosity, TBN.

These oils actually give good wear numbers when in a used oil analysis .

You can find the VOA and UOAs From black stone directly or from bobistheoilguy website. There’s a 500+ page thread on oils in the Ram forum and those guys really know what’s in these oils.

Those 3 oils are fine oils and do their job very well when used at good intervals. The wear numbers might not even be better with amsoil if both are changed at 5k miles. Maybe at 10 K the amsoil would do better, but spending more money on better oil with short intervals does not always make it better.

It’s like saying oh this pre workout supplement it way better cuz it has more ingredients. Which is never the case with anything.

I feel dumber after watching that

Pretty sure Mobil 1 is a group III hydro cracked synthetic oil . EP is group IV possibly group V base oils which group V are the best. Not sure about the motorcraft, but I’m guessing it’s at least a group III. For reference group I is like an older conventional oil, group II is also typically conventional and lower quality oil.

I have no idea how this guy can make any determination on these oils based on literally 0 quality evidence about that. Don’t let this scare you into wasting your hard earned $$ on expensive oils at short change intervals for every day normal driving.

Email black stone labs yourself or check out one of these forums for some real info. Or post a question in the RamForum thread after reading a little bit of it. Here’s the link Ramforum.com/threads/synthetic-oil.27664/page-3453

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only posted it to show that there is a full synthetic Motorcraft oil...nothing more. There was someone that said Motorcraft only makes a synthetic blend

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I see, but either way people should not use that as credible data

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm personally going to stick to Motorcraft, Amsoil, Mobil 1 or Liquimoly

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FWIW, the Focus RS specs Motorcraft 5w50 FULL synthetic oil. I have several changes worth of it...
Wow I didn’t realize it would be specd to use oil that thick. My dads CTSV 6.2 Super charged motor was 5w40