Ordering raptor out of state strange issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Specialtyperformanceparts

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This couldn't be more wrong. Every Raptor is 50 state legal. The CA emissions paperwork is BS and not required.

I’ve shipped
This couldn't be more wrong. Every Raptor is 50 state legal. The CA emissions paperwork is BS and not required.

I've worked with Ford 20 years. 18 and 19 F-150's and Raptors come split emissions. CA or Brown. It defaults from the dealers state of origin unless its a boarder state. 50 State emissions is ONLY available as a fleet. So companies like Roush, or SCA that get bailment can order theirs that way.
Why? I don't know Heck, it would be much easier if they were all the same. It must have something to do with money. Maybe they have to pay fees to CARB (California Air Resource board) for every California capable vehicle. It wouldn't surprise me. California wants more and more money and fees and fines from anyone they can get it from. I feel sorry for the folks out there.
Attached is a page DIRECT out of Fords order guide. It says it right there.
Now, that doesn't mean some people may not have come across some 50 state trucks or California versions and just assumed it's a default. They could have been ordered fleet, or specifically California Emissions. I was not looking to pick a fight. I ONLY was saying to be careful. Double check. Someone already mentioned earlier they called their out of state dealer and they confirmed the truck they were selling him was not compliant and offered to find him one that was.

2019 F-150 Order Guide (1).jpg

SSWIM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the dealers charging over sticker are scumbags and everyone paying it are idiots with too much money driving the prices. This truck is no longer limited production like the gen1. Shame on both parties.

So, if someone came to you and offered 90K for your 2018 Raptor, you would so no. It's only worth 65K and it just isn't fair to charge you that amount, even though the party offering the money wants the vehicle and has no problem paying that amount. It's called free enterprise and I really don't see why so many have such an issue with it. Just say no and look for a better deal.

Sam

SacRaptor

Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback guys. The salesman told me I would be receiving the phone call tomorrow so I guess I’ll just wait for it and report back. I’m rather curious as to what he’s going to tell me. I only have a deposit though so I can still look for another good deal much closer or actually in CA. If anyone knows any reputable dealers close to CA please send me a message. I am looking for a 2019 though, not an 18.

Edit* fwiw, I’m willing to travel a reasonable distance (Oregon, Nevada, Arizona, Washington, maybe even Texas) if the deal is good enough, and drive it back home. That’ll give me a better test drive than anything else honestly.

Same here!!! :)

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, if someone came to you and offered 90K for your 2018 Raptor, you would so no. It's only worth 65K and it just isn't fair to charge you that amount, even though the party offering the money wants the vehicle and has no problem paying that amount. It's called free enterprise and I really don't see why so many have such an issue with it. Just say no and look for a better deal.

Sam
It’s not cool that dealers in some areas are charging that much over sticker.

RC Blk Bird

Reaction score
They (Cali) is treating it like a grey market vehicle. Usually you just pay the respective state taxes when buying an out of state vehicle. I purchased both my Gen 1 & Gen 2 out of state. At the time I was an Idaho resident and got my Gen 1 (2010) in Denver in 2011, and my Gen 2 (2018 @ msrp btw) from Lugoff Ford in Lugoff SC. I just had to pay ID sales tax. No FBI interview, but somehow I find it believable that could happen.

jinskeep

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As before mentioned the sale of a GT(40) has a clause such as that and the sale of those is in between Ford and the end user with a dealer doing a "courtesy delivery". A Raptor no and I can't imagine a California law implying this and/or FBI getting involved. I am a dealer in Indiana.
www.inskeepford.com

OP
OP
N

NorCalGen2

Reaction score
Another update, my salesman just informed me that his GM will not allow the truck to be shipped to California due to not having the CA emissions option. He also went on to state that his master tech looked up the vin and it came back as "49 State/Non Green State Req.". That really turned off the GM and he called it off. I've mentioned the carb sticker under the hood but unfortunately I can only do so much on my end and that wasn't enough to convince him to ship it; so you can say I'm back to square one. I need to find another similar raptor, preferably with CA emissions, before January. If anyone knows any dealers that have 2019's in stock for MSRP feel free to drop some names or private message me.

RC Blk Bird

Reaction score
you likely won't find any 2019 inventory since a lot of dealers still have 2018 inventory on hand. Peoria Ford in AZ has 18 or so 2018's. Rodeo Ford in Goodyear Az has 6 or 7.

Btech

Reaction score
I am in SoCal and purchased my '17 in Wisconsin a couple hundred above MSRP and have it registered in CA.

The WI dealership sent me the same form about restricting re-sell and I called them on it. The dealership manager was really nice and told me that there was no law that would make me sign it and he didn't really care but it was new form they had just started using on Raptors.

From what I was told this all started because Ford Dealerships in SoCal were purchasing Raptors from out of state dealerships posing as a private sale, them transporting the Raptor back to their SoCal dealership, doing some sort of 'upgrade' through a side business, then reselling the trucks for 15k to 30k over MSRP under the name of their side business on the sale paperwork (on the same lot as the dealer vehicles). And remember many of the SoCal dealerships tell their shoppers that only the Raptors on their lots meet the California Environmental laws for registrations - completely false - all new Raptors have the sticker under the hood for registration (some dealers outside of Cali dealerships do not know that all the '17 and newer Raptors have the sticker under the hood for CA registration).

Got it had to some of these SoCal dealerships, they create one mark up scam followed up by a regulatory information scam to make a sale.

So, instead of trying to find out who these SoCal dealer scammers are, Ford dealerships decided to use a non re-sell form that is used for other SVT type of vehicles and won't advertise that their Raptors meet California Environmental regulations with the sticker.

I never signed the form, purchased the truck out of state at a great price, shipped it to my SoCal home, registered it and love driving it everyday. I also purchased an SUV from out state and had it shipped from FL to my SoCal home. Saved thousands dollars.

btw - I would have signed the form, I have no intention of re-sell.

Last edited: