Ordering raptor out of state strange issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RivRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought mine out of state a few months back in AZ. Didn't have to sign any resell paperwork but did have to meet a notary at state line to sign a doc stating I was going to register out of state. (Truck has to physically be out of state) The dealer gave me a 3 month temp AZ registration to get Cal paperwork done. They with held Cal tax & Reg fees. Then I had to smog, get a weight cert (truck stop) and get it inspected @ DMV (AAA will do it if you press them) then send paperwork back, then they send everything to Cal. Other then some mistakes on the inspection paperwork which got kicked back it all worked out and in the end I saved a lot of money!

OP
OP
N

NorCalGen2

Reaction score
Okay guys so I called my salesman this morning and everything was cleared up. I didn’t call him back yesterday due to the time difference. So this morning he informed me that I needed to do a notary saying I wasn’t selling the truck outside the US. Not that I couldn’t sell the truck in California. Also, I must’ve misheard him on the phone last night. He said his guy is “like” an FBI agent because he wants to know everything. That “everything” pretty much being that I am a legit purchaser and not trying to scam the dealer or make profit by selling internationally. So that cleared that up, but he also mentioned to me that the raptor doesn’t have the CA emissions on the window sticker. However I have read somewhere on here that some guys still got there trucks though because of another sticker located under the hood? I may be incorrect about the location but I believe that’s what I read.

Due to the CA emissions deal he can’t send it; but he did say if he can’t do the deal he will gladly refund my deposit and even go as far as to help my find another similarly equipped truck with CA emissions at nearby dealers. He just can’t guarantee the same price. So I’m not too worried about fraud or anything like that. As I said previously on my post, I checked out the dealer and they seem legit from every angle. My only problem is this now:

Either a) find the proof that the raptor can still be shipped to Cali and continue with the deal.

Or

b) find a similarly equipped raptor (almost impossible) in or near California for MSRP, because I highly doubt any dealer out here will match the deal they were giving me.

I really appreciate the help and feedback guys. What would you guys do in my position? I’m still not put off by the idea of moving to a closer to home deal, I just need to find something similar in both price and equipment.

Maxoz

Reaction score
Okay guys so I called my salesman this morning and everything was cleared up. I didn’t call him back yesterday due to the time difference. So this morning he informed me that I needed to do a notary saying I wasn’t selling the truck outside the US. Not that I couldn’t sell the truck in California. Also, I must’ve misheard him on the phone last night. He said his guy is “like” an FBI agent because he wants to know everything. That “everything” pretty much being that I am a legit purchaser and not trying to scam the dealer or make profit by selling internationally. So that cleared that up, but he also mentioned to me that the raptor doesn’t have the CA emissions on the window sticker. However I have read somewhere on here that some guys still got there trucks though because of another sticker located under the hood? I may be incorrect about the location but I believe that’s what I read.

Due to the CA emissions deal he can’t send it; but he did say if he can’t do the deal he will gladly refund my deposit and even go as far as to help my find another similarly equipped truck with CA emissions at nearby dealers. He just can’t guarantee the same price. So I’m not too worried about fraud or anything like that. As I said previously on my post, I checked out the dealer and they seem legit from every angle. My only problem is this now:

Either a) find the proof that the raptor can still be shipped to Cali and continue with the deal.

Or

b) find a similarly equipped raptor (almost impossible) in or near California for MSRP, because I highly doubt any dealer out here will match the deal they were giving me.

I really appreciate the help and feedback guys. What would you guys do in my position? I’m still not put off by the idea of moving to a closer to home deal, I just need to find something similar in both price and equipment.

Check this out, I guess all raptors are ca emission vehicles.
It should be simple as it should be clearly stated on the sticker under the hood, if it doesnt meet CA standard, you got no choice but to find another one, otherwise why not just push for it.

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Or

Having just brought a 2018 Raptor into CALIF it is definitely 50 state Smog legal!

Specialtyperformanceparts

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hello all, I’m new here but have been browsing on & off for a while. I decided to order a 19 Raptor but they’re scarce in California, and as you all know the local prices for raptor’s are insane. I’ve seen threads of other members ordering there raptors out of state so I decided I’d search and try to order one. I found one at a dealer in Alabama and placed a deposit on it to have them hold it for me while it arrived to there dealership. After it’s arrival we would follow up with paperwork. All was going well until about 20 minutes ago when I received what I thought to be a strange phone call from the salesman I’ve been dealing with. I was told an FBI agent (invoice investigation I believe he said) would call me in order to confirm I wouldn’t be reselling the raptor. Apparently buying a raptor out of state for a lower price and reselling it for a higher one in California is illegal. I didn’t know this, or if it’s even true, but my point is I find it odd that this type of “investigation” has to take place in order for me to purchase this truck. Mind you prior to this, the salesman had asked if I was going to resell because ford didn’t allow that and I said no. In the aforementioned phone call he also said that he had told the Investigator I didn’t want to resell; however this wasn’t good enough and he needed to confirm it with me personally over the phone. Does this sound remotely similar to anyone else’s experience when ordering a raptor out of state?

Ok,
First, I want to reach out and try to put you at ease.... I work for a dealership. I deal in and ship HUNDREDS of Raptors all over the country each year. We get more Raptors than most any dealer in the US.
So I can tell you... The FBI is absolutely NOT involved in Raptor sales. None whatsoever. I agree with whoever said, "Are you dealing with a legit business".

Here are the facts.
Ford doesn't want ANY Ford vehicle shipped out of the country. Their position behind that is that it creates more competition to their dealers in those other countries who they keep limited allocation for. Their other reasoning behind it is that different environments, such as the middle east, has a different climate and needs different cooling and programming. There are a lot of black market exports on vehicles and they especially watch the Raptors for this and threaten their dealers with possible action for knowingly selling vehicles to exporters. They have an export black list available to dealers of know brokers. So unless your on that list, it shouldn't matter.

So again, Ford says NO NO to exporting. The FBI is not involved. Even if you did, it isn't a capital crime therefore, the FBI isn't involved. With Fords stern response to dealers about exporting vehicles, it may be possible some small mom and pop dealership is scared out of their mind that selling a Raptor to a potential exporter might lose them their franchise. Perhaps in this terror they made up a story to you about the FBI calling you to try to "Shake You Down"... lol. Or maybe it isn't a legit place?
This is on the dealer, not the consumer.

Either way, Ford cares about one thing. That the truck is TITLED in the USA to the person who bought it. If you decide to sell it in 2 months... for WHATEVER price you want. it is your choice and not illegal. However, the dealers ask that you title it first to appease Ford. (Chevy is the same way).

The Ford GT was a different thing. It was a contract direct from FORD to the buyer that they wouldn't sell the car for 2 years. The GT was applied for from the consumer direct to Ford and sold direct. The dealer (who can be chosen by the consumer) was just the deliverer. Ford sold the GT DIRECT.

Fact 2: If you live in California and you buy a Raptor out of state, you run a HUGE risk of not being able to register it. Raptors come 2 ways. With California Emissions and with Brown State Emissions. If you don't get one with California Emissions, California will blacklist you and you will not be able to title it. Most states have Brown Emissions unless ordered specifically with California Emissions.

I have 6 - 2019 Raptor 802A Premium Crew Cabs available now as well as 4 remaining 2018's

These trucks of OURS fortunate for you are California Emissions compliant.

So if you want to call 317-885-8147 or shoot an email to [email protected] I can send you info on what's available, or I can special order whatever you want.

Either way, hope this answers your concerns and anyone else who was confused about your situation.

Good luck and let me know if I can help.

John

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok,
First, I want to reach out and try to put you at ease.... I work for a dealership. I deal in and ship HUNDREDS of Raptors all over the country each year. We get more Raptors than most any dealer in the US.
So I can tell you...

Fact 2: If you live in California and you buy a Raptor out of state, you run a HUGE risk of not being able to register it. Raptors come 2 ways. With California Emissions and with Brown State Emissions. If you don't get one with California Emissions, California will blacklist you and you will not be able to title it. Most states have Brown Emissions unless ordered specifically with California Emissions.

I have 6 - 2019 Raptor 802A Premium Crew Cabs available now as well as 4 remaining 2018's

You make the 4th Dealership that has said, "we get more Raptors than any others in the U.S."
Here's my experience, FWIW: Every Dealer in every state I called told me their Raptors were 50 state legal - and, again, these were some of the greatest and highest volume Raptor dealers in the world (supposedly).
Fortunate for us all - you just happen to have the proper Raptors for Calif buyers though you don't mention prices or discounts!
I had a wonderful experience with my "out-of-state" dealership, no hype, no unfounded scare tactics, just honest business. They laughed when I asked if my Raptor for sale was 50 state Smog Legal.
My CADMV process was painless and straight forward, would do it again tomorrow if I needed to.

Again, just my experience.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You make the 4th Dealership that has said, "we get more Raptors than any others in the U.S."
Here's my experience, FWIW: Every Dealer in every state I called told me their Raptors were 50 state legal - and, again, these were some of the greatest and highest volume Raptor dealers in the world (supposedly).
Fortunate for us all - you just happen to have the proper Raptors for Calif buyers though you don't mention prices or discounts!
I had a wonderful experience with my "out-of-state" dealership, no hype, no unfounded scare tactics, just honest business. They laughed when I asked if my Raptor for sale was 50 state Smog Legal.
My CADMV process was painless and straight forward, would do it again tomorrow if I needed to.

Again, just my experience.
All the dealers charging over sticker are scumbags and everyone paying it are idiots with too much money driving the prices. This truck is no longer limited production like the gen1. Shame on both parties.