Opinions on using your trail control?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

two24studios

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Used it a few times when off roading to see how it worked... and then learned how to better utilize it during Raptor Assault. It does surge a little bit while it's finding the proper balance of acceleration and braking. I think you just need to be patient with it. Prob not for everyone.

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used it at Raptor Assault. It was okay for bumpy uphill terrain but once you're into something really steep or with significant rocks it's going to surge and a manual left-foot-braking technique is going to give you better results. My '18 doesn't have it, so moot issue for me, but the '19s at Raptor Assault did and I could take or leave the feature. I wouldn't pay for it if it were a stand-alone option on my next Raptor.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Real men learn how to drive off road without nanny's. I have never used mine and probably never will. If I need it, I probably need to give up going off road.

Real men learn to use their tools. :) It seem like if they were clever, the computer could handle the left foot braking, and could even handle braking a single wheel in the front to transfer torque. From what I've seen so far, they weren't clever. I've got all kinds of questions about how you're supposed to drive the silly thing in Baja and Crawl modes. I hate the way those modes work unless I'm shifting manually, at which point they're useless other than for programming the shocks.

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Real men learn to use their tools. :) It seem like if they were clever, the computer could handle the left foot braking, and could even handle braking a single wheel in the front to transfer torque. From what I've seen so far, they weren't clever. I've got all kinds of questions about how you're supposed to drive the silly thing in Baja and Crawl modes. I hate the way those modes work unless I'm shifting manually, at which point they're useless other than for programming the shocks.

The modes do more than change shift points. Braking characteristics are changed considerably. I forget how in Baja (and I don't have Crawl in my '18) but in Mud and Sand it all but disables ABS because you actually stop faster without it on those surfaces. At Raptor Assault that was one of the most appreciable tests they had us do. Also in Baja mode it keeps the throttle partly open off-throttle. The air passing through acts as anti-lag and keeps the turbos spinning for better response when you're back on-throttle. Do some more research on exactly what each mode is doing. Then in a safe location try acceleration, turning, and braking on the intended surfaces. The differences are pronounced when you pair the right mode to the right driving conditions and start approaching the limits. The easy mistake is switching modes when the terrain isn't challenging and you're not pushing the truck. Then the modes just seem useless (because they are in that situation).

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I used it at Raptor Assault. It was okay for bumpy uphill terrain but once you're into something really steep or with significant rocks it's going to surge and a manual left-foot-braking technique is going to give you better results. My '18 doesn't have it, so moot issue for me, but the '19s at Raptor Assault did and I could take or leave the feature. I wouldn't pay for it if it were a stand-alone option on my next Raptor.

That probably explains it. The surface was 100% golf ball to baseball sized rocks with no dirt. It would gas it, spin, totally take throttle off, repeat.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The modes do more than change shift points. Braking characteristics are changed considerably. I forget how in Baja (and I don't have Crawl in my '18) but in Mud and Sand it all but disables ABS because you actually stop faster without it on those surfaces. At Raptor Assault that was one of the most appreciable tests they had us do. Also in Baja mode it keeps the throttle partly open off-throttle. The air passing through acts as anti-lag and keeps the turbos spinning for better response when you're back on-throttle. Do some more research on exactly what each mode is doing. Then in a safe location try acceleration, turning, and braking on the intended surfaces. The differences are pronounced when you pair the right mode to the right driving conditions and start approaching the limits. The easy mistake is switching modes when the terrain isn't challenging and you're not pushing the truck. Then the modes just seem useless (because they are in that situation).

I did all that. I do like how the brakes work in mud/sand mode. I haven't really pushed the limits of the truck and probably never will. I'm usually carrying 1000 pounds when I'm off road, which is not conducive to high speed silliness. I understand why they keep the engine spooled up, it's because the computer can't see what's coming and anticipate it, so it has to be ready at all times. I don't like it because I can see ahead and anticipate what's coming and having the engine spooled up when it doesn't need to be annoys me. Maybe if I had my hands full keeping the rubber bits down I'd appreciate not having to shift. Dunno. I've been driving a manual for 47 years now and this slush pump is taking some getting used to.

That probably explains it. The surface was 100% golf ball to baseball sized rocks with no dirt.

That's the kind of surface I was on with somewhat bigger rocks. I won't be trying that again.

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That probably explains it. The surface was 100% golf ball to baseball sized rocks with no dirt. It would gas it, spin, totally take throttle off, repeat.

Yep, makes sense. I don't think the combination of sensors, computers, and mechanical components can react fast enough. Combined there's enough lag that when you first hit a baseball sized rock it wasn't prepared to add the necessary extra power. Then when it does add that power it doesn't realize it's about to get over the top of the rock and needs to pull power and smoothly apply braking. This is why left foot braking is the preferred technique for rocky terrain. It smooths out the inputs and you can modulate with the gas. Add more and you'll smoothly climb the rock. Pull power and you're already on the brake so you don't vault over the top of the rock, but smoothly roll over. One of those things where you need human perception or much smarter computers.

adam0311

Reaction score
I’ve found the different modes to be useful and fun to explore...the Rock Crawl (2019 and up) mode and Baja are the two I’ve used most often. Rock Crawl in particular seems to make a big difference in articulation. Baja 2wd is a blast in the semi-loose stuff. I have tried trail control up and down hill and it does surge a bit, but mostly I found it boring...does too much for you.

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would think why would they go and put all of these features that most likely add to the cost to the truck, they must have received input from somewhere on what to add the options. Do they go based upon what every other manufacture is offering or not offering?

Even with all of the electronics involved how can the programming be set up for every real world driving situation? I don`t like the involvement when being of road, you know that your supposed to be driving in a particular style and the truck takes over for you at times. I was able to disable most of the functions on my Jeep and it made it a more pleasurable driving experience off road

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would think why would they go and put all of these features that most likely add to the cost to the truck, they must have received input from somewhere on what to add the options. Do they go based upon what every other manufacture is offering or not offering?

Even with all of the electronics involved how can the programming be set up for every real world driving situation? I don`t like the involvement when being of road, you know that your supposed to be driving in a particular style and the truck takes over for you at times. I was able to disable most of the functions on my Jeep and it made it a more pleasurable driving experience off road

I think they add some features because the competition has it, and others because their think tanks think it'll sound cool to the target buyer. Most Raptor owners aren't really hard core off-roaders so more off-road automation will presumably make prospective owners feel like they can take advantage of the truck without needing to go learn how to off road properly. The Raptor is in general a very automation-heavy truck. I do prefer a more in-control experience, but I wanted a Raptor and have accepted that it's always partly driving itself and rarely responds to exactly the way you told it to.