Opinions on taking your Gen 2 to instant valvoline oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dvm

Reaction score
To lazy to do myself and also taking to the dealership is a PIA. So how about valvoline instant oil change. I have used them with previous vehicles but didn't know if the raptor is anything special that it should be taken to the dealership?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
You should use caution when contracting out work on your vehicle. A lot of these places think an impact wrench has one setting and that it’s the only tool at their disposal. I’ve personally witnessed these types of shops impact drive an oil pan bolt in, and not gently.

there have been multiple users on FRF who have been victimized by tire shops with staff who keep the impact on full power, driving lug nuts on with enough force to seize them in place. It’s not the norm, but it does happen and when it does it’s a bear to get fixed.

So, if you trust this shop, go for it. My impression of many of these places; that is, not just the Valvoline shops, is that it’s not a place for a Raptor.

RotorHead695

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer the dealership so there is no doubt in case of warranty issues. Worth the extra 20 minutes of driving and about the same wait for the work. Plus I can easily add things like cabin air filters, engine filters and wiper blades. If you want to pay them to rotate and balance it can also save you a trip to the tire store.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I prefer the dealership so there is no doubt in case of warranty issues. Worth the extra 20 minutes of driving and about the same wait for the work. Plus I can easily add things like cabin air filters, engine filters and wiper blades. If you want to pay them to rotate and balance it can also save you a trip to the tire store.
I also like the dealer for the same reasons.

I have a Ford warranty, for a Ford and I go to the Ford dealer for issues I cannot rectify myself. Its their product to fix properly.

Beinkounter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So did you do it and if so...

how big is your oil leak now because they broke the oil plug?
Mine was pretty bad, thankfully it was my 07 Yukon and not the raptor. Had to rethread the oil pan myself. I’d say to the OP if you are too lazy to do it yourself or take it to the dealer, take it to a reputable shop, or a performance shop. Avoid the valvolines and jiffy lubes of the world.

dc1gator

Reaction score
I have a shop that I trust. I always give them typed instructions and request that they manually torque any nuts. This shop is good and they have a reputation to protect. If it's warranty work I take it to my dealer. Outside of warranty my shop saves me big bucks over the dealer.

KOBRA2848

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to a Valvoline Quick change in my Toyota Tacoma for an oil change before a trip to the beach. I had a bunch to do before the trip and figured I would save some time by having them do it instead of the Toyota dealer. There was a radio station doing a broadcast from there and they had free pizza so another win on the free lunch. All seemed well until a couple of weeks later I noticed they didn’t change the oil filter since it still had a Toyota filter. I guess they didn’t want to hassle with removing the skidplate. That was the last time I have visited any quick oil change place.

Mark