OPINIONS ON MONTANA REGISTRATION

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least you don’t have yearly personal property tax based on the value
just renewed my yearly auto registration. $360 / yr. and michigan sales tax was a one time. 6%

you pay a yearly property tax on vehicles too. we just have property tax on actual land, houses, buildings, not on assets like a car. thats f'd in the A. unless its just Called something different.

do you have a yearly auto registration fee also.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score

Kurtj29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just renewed my yearly auto registration. $360 / yr. and michigan sales tax was a one time. 6%

you pay a yearly property tax on vehicles too. we just have property tax on actual land, houses, buildings, not on assets like a car. thats f'd in the A. unless its just Called something different.

do you have a yearly auto registration fee also.
Michigan taxes are the worst. Just look up their intangibles tax - my gosh. So glad I moved out of that state... We have it pretty good in Washington State. It could be so much worse. (The current government is trying to turn us into Michigan)

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My R is built and scheduled for mid January delivery. My wife and I had a spirited "debate" on the registration of this truck. I already have a Montana LLC for another ridiculously expensive car but it is rarely driven. I thought that since I already have it all set up, I might as well register the R in there as well but she balked at that notion and said since this will be my daily driver, I should suck it up and pay the sales tax. I say that it would be stupid to not use the loophole and save myself about $10,000 in sales tax. I pay plenty of tax. I am surely paying "my fair share" every year. She said she will be embarrassed to drive in a truck that had a Montana license plate. Please settle this "discussion" with some chiming in. Thank you. (New world problems)
It’s FJB’s fault you need to save some $$$ somewhere that just helps offset the egregious inflation & gas prices

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score

RedRocks

Reaction score
I thought about moving to Montana but instead purchased our forever home in southern Utah. Both states are breathtaking and freedom-loving. The forever winters in Montana were a deal-breaker for me. Utah taxes are a bit stiff with sales and income taxes but the homestead exemption offsets a lot of that.