OPINIONS ON MONTANA REGISTRATION

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You are asking for an opinion, so I will chime in. A good wife is much more difficult to get than even a Raptor R. I think she is correct. If it is your daily, it probably should be plated properly.

If you mentioned what state you are in, I missed it. I'm a conservative business owner in northern California, and I pay at least "my fair share" - so I get where you are coming from. A loophole by my definition is a legit (but perhaps clever) way to avoid taxes, which we want to do, but be careful if it crosses the line to become "evading" taxes. I have family in Montana, and I also buy expensive cars and trucks a little too often...but I think the rules are pretty straightforward, in California at least, that you would owe "use tax".

As for California being corrupt, wasting tax dollars on stupid immoral things, implementing ridiculous regulations, and such - I agree. You can't justify or defend all of the ridiculous things that happen here. But other than voting, I really can't control the decisions our government makes, but I can control the decisions I make.

We need all of you guys that moved to Texas, Montana, Idaho and other awesome states to move back and vote...It's lonely here as a conservative.
Hey- could be worse, hard working tax paying guy here in MA, I got a lot of the negative stuff you deal w/ in terms of corruption/wasted tax$$$/BS regulation/taxation etc & then top it off w/ crazy congestion & crappy extreme weather @ least 1/2 the year- at least you got that going for ya hahaha

tractorman

Reaction score
Hey- could be worse, hard working tax paying guy here in MA, I got a lot of the negative stuff you deal w/ in terms of corruption/wasted tax$$$/BS regulation/taxation etc & then top it off w/ crazy congestion & crappy extreme weather @ least 1/2 the year- at least you got that going for ya hahaha
Misery loves company, so thanks! Watched the sunrise over a snowy Lassen Peak a couple of mornings ago. We are fortunate to live in a very rural area of Cali.

Lassen.jpg

Rated R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Misery loves company, so thanks! Watched the sunrise over a snowy Lassen Peak a couple of mornings ago. We are fortunate to live in a very rural area of Cali.
You're not represented, and yet you're still contributing by paying taxes. I had a similar view of Mt Hood, hope I never see it again...

Last edited:

Gary Gere

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are asking for an opinion, so I will chime in. A good wife is much more difficult to get than even a Raptor R. I think she is correct. If it is your daily, it probably should be plated properly.

If you mentioned what state you are in, I missed it. I'm a conservative business owner in northern California, and I pay at least "my fair share" - so I get where you are coming from. A loophole by my definition is a legit (but perhaps clever) way to avoid taxes, which we want to do, but be careful if it crosses the line to become "evading" taxes. I have family in Montana, and I also buy expensive cars and trucks a little too often...but I think the rules are pretty straightforward, in California at least, that you would owe "use tax".

As for California being corrupt, wasting tax dollars on stupid immoral things, implementing ridiculous regulations, and such - I agree. You can't justify or defend all of the ridiculous things that happen here. But other than voting, I really can't control the decisions our government makes, but I can control the decisions I make.

We need all of you guys that moved to Texas, Montana, Idaho and other awesome states to move back and vote...It's lonely here as a conservative.
Born and lived in SF bay area for 60 years - voting conservative was a waste, many times the only choices were between 2 democrats - we finally had enough of watching the liberals destroy the state while taxing us to death (see CA high speed rail project for how they “misspend” tax revenue) - now live at the end of a 3 mile dirt road about 20 miles north of Whitefish - saved over $20k in sales tax & license/registrstion fees on 2 Raptors - if a vehicle is over 10 years old you pay a one time $89 fee for permanent registration - our only regret was in not moving sooner.

BC119

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My R is built and scheduled for mid January delivery. My wife and I had a spirited "debate" on the registration of this truck. I already have a Montana LLC for another ridiculously expensive car but it is rarely driven. I thought that since I already have it all set up, I might as well register the R in there as well but she balked at that notion and said since this will be my daily driver, I should suck it up and pay the sales tax. I say that it would be stupid to not use the loophole and save myself about $10,000 in sales tax. I pay plenty of tax. I am surely paying "my fair share" every year. She said she will be embarrassed to drive in a truck that had a Montana license plate. Please settle this "discussion" with some chiming in. Thank you. (New world problems)
Only reasons to not do it is tax collectors going after you for the above publicly stated admission of tax evasion, or local police targeting you for the out of state plates.

If you can deal with those two contingencies, you'll save some money for sure.

Last edited:

PTYHRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just renewed my yearly auto registration. $360 / yr. and michigan sales tax was a one time. 6%

you pay a yearly property tax on vehicles too. we just have property tax on actual land, houses, buildings, not on assets like a car. thats f'd in the A. unless its just Called something different.

do you have a yearly auto registration fee also.
We have a property tax on vehicles, boats etc. anything registered with value. My 2014 Raptor was almost $900 bill in October. So 4.5% upon buying/registering then a tax on the “value” every year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTRaptor20