OPINIONS ON MONTANA REGISTRATION

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Michigan taxes are the worst. Just look up their intangibles tax - my gosh. So glad I moved out of that state... We have it pretty good in Washington State. It could be so much worse. (The current government is trying to turn us into Michigan)
I agree they are bad but far from the worst. they are about the middle of the road compared to the rest of the states. but none the less they are terrible.

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
I thought about moving to Montana but instead purchased our forever home in southern Utah. Both states are breathtaking and freedom-loving. The forever winters in Montana were a deal-breaker for me. Utah taxes are a bit stiff with sales and income taxes but the homestead exemption offsets a lot of that.
Winter gets old in a hurry. February can be freaking brutal! The wife and I have given serious thought to San Juan Island. We vacation there a lot, and the speed of life there is much slower. I’m not sure how I’d do with the rainy winter season?

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Winter gets old in a hurry. February can be freaking brutal! The wife and I have given serious thought to San Juan Island. We vacation there a lot, and the speed of life there is much slower. I’m not sure how I’d do with the rainy winter season?

San Juan would be great if it wasn't in Washington State.

Kurtj29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"rainy winter season". Heck it rains 500 days a year here.

We have 4 seasons; rainy winter - which lasts 9 months, then a few weeks of spring & summer which then transitions into Wild Fire & Smoke season for 2 months, then 2 weeks of fall. You can't even get up in the Cascade mountains to offroad now - seems they shut the roads down just as soon as they melt out due to wildfires.

P.S. I might think twice about parking a Raptor on any of the San Juan islands...

Last edited:

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
"rainy winter season". Heck it rains 500 days a year here.

We have 4 seasons; rainy winter - which lasts 9 months, then a few weeks of spring & summer which then transitions into Wild Fire & Smoke season for 2 months, then 2 weeks of fall. You can't even get up in the Cascade mountains to offroad now - seems they shut the roads down just as soon as they melt out due to wildfires.

P.S. I might think twice about parking a Raptor on any of the San Juan islands...
I‘ve never got a sense that San Juan was dangerous. I’ve had a Raptor and my TRX on the island.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Speed of life is slower in San Juan than Montana! Montana ain’t exactly fast paced

tractorman

Reaction score
My R is built and scheduled for mid January delivery. My wife and I had a spirited "debate" on the registration of this truck. I already have a Montana LLC for another ridiculously expensive car but it is rarely driven. I thought that since I already have it all set up, I might as well register the R in there as well but she balked at that notion and said since this will be my daily driver, I should suck it up and pay the sales tax. I say that it would be stupid to not use the loophole and save myself about $10,000 in sales tax. I pay plenty of tax. I am surely paying "my fair share" every year. She said she will be embarrassed to drive in a truck that had a Montana license plate. Please settle this "discussion" with some chiming in. Thank you. (New world problems)
You are asking for an opinion, so I will chime in. A good wife is much more difficult to get than even a Raptor R. I think she is correct. If it is your daily, it probably should be plated properly.

If you mentioned what state you are in, I missed it. I'm a conservative business owner in northern California, and I pay at least "my fair share" - so I get where you are coming from. A loophole by my definition is a legit (but perhaps clever) way to avoid taxes, which we want to do, but be careful if it crosses the line to become "evading" taxes. I have family in Montana, and I also buy expensive cars and trucks a little too often...but I think the rules are pretty straightforward, in California at least, that you would owe "use tax".

As for California being corrupt, wasting tax dollars on stupid immoral things, implementing ridiculous regulations, and such - I agree. You can't justify or defend all of the ridiculous things that happen here. But other than voting, I really can't control the decisions our government makes, but I can control the decisions I make.

We need all of you guys that moved to Texas, Montana, Idaho and other awesome states to move back and vote...It's lonely here as a conservative.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
We need all of you guys that moved to Texas, Montana, Idaho and other awesome states to move back and vote...It's lonely here as a conservative.

That would only be effective in a purple or “swing” state and even then the process would take multiple election cycles - about 10 years minimum to reap rewards. Virginia or Georgia are the latest states to suffer this consequence, and you can see it’s not a total domination yet, but Virginia is now a solidly blue state. The General Assembly was solidly Republican up until the 2010’s from about the late 90’s -ish.

California is several times the population of both VA and GA, geographically bigger and more importantly, it’s in the top 3 bluest of blue states. What infects California government cannot be undone. It is in the nature of government to grow itself, seek more control always.