Onboard air compressor recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you guys powering the ARB via one of the auxiliary switches ? Or going right into the battery ?
main power has to go direct to the battery. but as mentioned, a trigger wire which is my pressure regulator relay, goes to an aux switch. i have my compressors mounted in my bedIMG_20200331_194125.jpg i can fill all 4 of my tires from dead flat at 0psi to 44 psi in 7 minutes. i pulled the valve stems out and timed it...... guess i was bored

IMG_20200624_122547.jpg

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you guys powering the ARB via one of the auxiliary switches ? Or going right into the battery ?

The ARB twin comes with a wiring harness with two 10 AWG power wires, one for each compressor. These are wired directly to the battery, as it pulls 50A total (25A per wire) max continuous load. I think it is 63A max instantaneous load total. The switch it comes with (the purple and black wires) can be wired to an upfitter, as it is just a relay trigger and is low amperage. You would connect the purple wire to the upfitter hot wire. I do not know the load requirement for the relay, but I suspect you could use the smallest rater upfitters (AUX 5 or AUX6, both 5A each).

OP
OP
Raptorial

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the ARB twin briefcase. It easy to move around from the Raptor to the Jeep. Fills 40s with no problem. Sit it on the ground by the battery and the supplied hose can reach all 4 tires on the Raptor. When done roll up hose, roll up positive and negative cables and shut box, and put it back in the bed.
Its not cheap at $899.

So with the briefcase, you don’t hardwire anything? Looked it up and see jumper cables.

Thanks !

OP
OP
Raptorial

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another option are the Viair compressors. They make a variety of models for different uses.

So the Viair 400p looks great. Does it include everything you need for around $200, or am I missing something ?

There is zero installation, correct ? Appears to be portable

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So with the briefcase, you don’t hardwire anything? Looked it up and see jumper cables.

Thanks !

I have the ARB in a box with 1 gal. tank also, it clamps to the battery like jumper cables. It was pricey but works good enough to use an impact wrench to rotate tires and other small jobs. Must be careful as it will run the battery down, found this out the hard way.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the ARB in a box with 1 gal. tank also, it clamps to the battery like jumper cables. It was pricey but works good enough to use an impact wrench to rotate tires and other small jobs. Must be careful as it will run the battery down, found this out the hard way.

I was surprised to find this as well when I used mine to air up some very low tires (4x 33s, went from ~10 psi to ~30 psi). The compressor worked hard for about 20 minutes on and off, and the next day the starter dragged when I started the vehicle.

Just doing some rough math, our Raptors have ~80 AH batteries. That means about ~40 AH is usable. The ARB twin pulls 50A at max continuous load. So just shooting from the hip with rough numbers (don't @ me with your "achktually..."), you've got about 45 minutes of working it hard before your truck will likely no longer start. Your mileage may vary.