On board air compressor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone here have one? Just curious how you have it setup as far as location, air lines, hoses, etc. Was thinking of mounting it in the engine bay or potentially on the frame where the spare used to be along with adding an air reservoir on the frame as well. I have an overhead switch panel I would use to turn it on and off. Also, curious what you guys are doing to monitor the air pressure in it with maybe a gauge in the interior or something. Just trying to get some ideas at this point. Thanks!

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cody. There are a number of threads on the forum that show some slick installs. I did a quick search and came up with this:

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threadloom/search?keywords=On+board+air&tab=0

Here’s one that shows excellent workmanship.

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/on-board-air-compressor.37470/#post-753567

In cab or in bed seem to be the preferred locations. I asked an installer where he prefers, to which he said “in cab hands down”. Engine bay is crowded and hot. Under frame has issues with dust, rain, snow, salt corrosion. In bed still has dust and moisture.

I ended up just using a portable Viair compressor. I maybe use it ten or twelve times a year. If I aired down on a regular basis I would consider an in cab install.

Best of luck with your install.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cody. There are a number of threads on the forum that show some slick installs. I did a quick search and came up with this:

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threadloom/search?keywords=On+board+air&tab=0

Here’s one that shows excellent workmanship.

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/on-board-air-compressor.37470/#post-753567

In cab or in bed seem to be the preferred locations. I asked an installer where he prefers, to which he said “in cab hands down”. Engine bay is crowded and hot. Under frame has issues with dust, rain, snow, salt corrosion. In bed still has dust and moisture.

I ended up just using a portable Viair compressor. I maybe use it ten or twelve times a year. If I aired down on a regular basis I would consider an in cab install.

Best of luck with your install.

Thanks for the reply! When I do one it'll probably be in the bed as I have a bed cover, so no worries about moisture or dust. It's too loud that I don't want it in the cab, plus the only place it'll fit is under the back seat, and that room is already accounted for. I have seen people do frame mounted ones, but it probably won't hold up long time in moisture, dirt, and off road obstacles. I believe only the VIAR can be mounted on the frame, but still need the intake relocation kit. I honestly feel like engine bay mounted would be nice. Much less wiring to run. I'd rather it not be in the bed since I haul stuff, so I try to keep everything out of the bed that I possibly can unless it won't go somewhere else.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also, I know that using the CO2 tank is an option as well, that way you don't need a compressor, but honestly, I'd rather have the option of a limitless supply. Also, I am sometimes forgetful, and the tank can't be refilled if you're stuck in the middle of nowhere, plus it's another thing you need to pack for a trip. Hell, I barely remember to bring the jumper box half the time. I have a portable air tank at home, and it's been forever since I've used it because I hate having to fill it, load it, and take it places, then put it back away.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have two Viair compressors mounted on my frame rails near the end of the truck. They're tucked way up there, and the intakes with filters run up high in the bedsides. I have a 5 gallon air tank mounted above the spare tire. I have air chucks on the front and rear. Inside I have an air gauge and a switch. I generally leave it on since the whole thing is managed by a pressure switch and shuts off at 200psi, but in case of a leak I can turn it off so it doesn't run forever. I also have air horns hooked up to the system. Works pretty well, and everything is out of the way.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have two Viair compressors mounted on my frame rails near the end of the truck. They're tucked way up there, and the intakes with filters run up high in the bedsides. I have a 5 gallon air tank mounted above the spare tire. I have air chucks on the front and rear. Inside I have an air gauge and a switch. I generally leave it on since the whole thing is managed by a pressure switch and shuts off at 200psi, but in case of a leak I can turn it off so it doesn't run forever. I also have air horns hooked up to the system. Works pretty well, and everything is out of the way.

I think at this point that's kind of my plan too. I don't have the spare underneath anymore since it won't fit so that gives me a ton of room back there to mount things. I know 100% my auxiliary battery and air tank will be going back there, just haven't decided if I want the compressors under the truck or in the engine bay. I plan to do an air gauge in the interior somewhere, and already have the switch setup for it too in my overhead panel. I also plan to do the air chucks in the front and rear to make it easily accessible. Biggest thing now is just deciding whether to use the dual Viairs or the dual ARB setup, and whether to mount it underneath or in the engine bay. I'd rather mount it underneath to save the space in the engine bay, but I also don't want the compressor(s) to die pre-maturely.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dane. Would you please send pictures showing the mounted compressors and air tank?

Thanks!

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think at this point that's kind of my plan too. I don't have the spare underneath anymore since it won't fit so that gives me a ton of room back there to mount things. I know 100% my auxiliary battery and air tank will be going back there, just haven't decided if I want the compressors under the truck or in the engine bay. I plan to do an air gauge in the interior somewhere, and already have the switch setup for it too in my overhead panel. I also plan to do the air chucks in the front and rear to make it easily accessible. Biggest thing now is just deciding whether to use the dual Viairs or the dual ARB setup, and whether to mount it underneath or in the engine bay. I'd rather mount it underneath to save the space in the engine bay, but I also don't want the compressor(s) to die pre-maturely.
My whole intention was to use dead space to make it functional - hence not wanting the hot engine bay. There's room ABOVE the spare for a five gallon tank, so I'd say use that and save the spare space for whatever else you might want in the future. Frame rails worked great for my compressors, as long as you route the air intake up higher so that they don't suck in gunk. Mine have been there for years with zero problems. I do occasionally have random leaks - same with my Jeep that has a motor drive york compressor, but the leaks are never the compressors. They are usually fittings. Onboard air can be annoying, it seems like I have to chase random demons in each vehicle every year, but that's just life. One suggestion I have - use these chucks, they are awesome:
For hard mounting a connection, like through metal: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/arb-0740111
For direct screw in to an air tank: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/arb-0740112
Little dust cover for either: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/arb-0740113

I've had way too many problems over time with the cheap generic ones from Home Depot or wherever, and these ARB ones are much nicer to operate.
Hopefully it's obvious, but you do want to use a relay in this situation since those compressors draw a lot of amperage. Your switch should just control a relay to provide battery power straight to the compressors. If I recall, my specific compressors have that relay built in, so I have a small control wire running to them, plus big fused battery wires. I want to say they're 40amp each. It's been a while since I messed with them, so I think I have them dialed in. Also make sure that you have some sort of rubber isolators on your compressors, don't mount straight to metal or they will be very loud.

Just looked it up and these are the compressors I installed back in 2016: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015NS9LW6/?tag=fordraptorforum-20
I used an air tank I had sitting around, I think it's from a semi. It doesn't have feet, which makes fitment nice, but the mounting involved some creativity. Make sure to use a pressure switch and a blow off valve in your installation.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My whole intention was to use dead space to make it functional - hence not wanting the hot engine bay. There's room ABOVE the spare for a five gallon tank, so I'd say use that and save the spare space for whatever else you might want in the future. Frame rails worked great for my compressors, as long as you route the air intake up higher so that they don't suck in gunk. Mine have been there for years with zero problems. I do occasionally have random leaks - same with my Jeep that has a motor drive york compressor, but the leaks are never the compressors. They are usually fittings. Onboard air can be annoying, it seems like I have to chase random demons in each vehicle every year, but that's just life. One suggestion I have - use these chucks, they are awesome:
For hard mounting a connection, like through metal: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/arb-0740111
For direct screw in to an air tank: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/arb-0740112
Little dust cover for either: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/arb-0740113

I've had way too many problems over time with the cheap generic ones from Home Depot or wherever, and these ARB ones are much nicer to operate.
Hopefully it's obvious, but you do want to use a relay in this situation since those compressors draw a lot of amperage. Your switch should just control a relay to provide battery power straight to the compressors. If I recall, my specific compressors have that relay built in, so I have a small control wire running to them, plus big fused battery wires. I want to say they're 40amp each. It's been a while since I messed with them, so I think I have them dialed in. Also make sure that you have some sort of rubber isolators on your compressors, don't mount straight to metal or they will be very loud.

Just looked it up and these are the compressors I installed back in 2016: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015NS9LW6/?tag=fordraptorforum-20
I used an air tank I had sitting around, I think it's from a semi. It doesn't have feet, which makes fitment nice, but the mounting involved some creativity. Make sure to use a pressure switch and a blow off valve in your installation.

Yea, I just looked in the engine bay and there's definitely not great spots to mount the compressors, plus I'd rather use dead space first. It was the same reason my amplifier and line converter for the sub woofer went behind the passenger seat. There's very little room back there but was enough for the amp, line converter, and wiring without smashing it. Subwoofer didn't have any option besides under the back seat, there's none slim enough to fit behind the seat and still create any actual bass. Most likely my inverter will end up going behind the driver's side rear seat as well. The only place I an see you could potentially put the compressors would be over by the battery, but I feel like they would be better placed on the frame. The Viair compressors are quite a bit cheaper than the dual ARB one too, so I may just do a similar setup.