Oil pan leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All good points. I hope yours does not leak again.

One major advantage of having a metal pan is the ability to use a fumoto valve. The location of the oil pan and a plastic drain plug causes a major mess when changing your oil. The fumoto valve eliminates the mess and makes an oil change a breeze.

Many other car manufacturers are using plastic oil pans i.e. BMW and others!! Plastic oil pans are not new! And, I guess they are used primarily for weight savings and because they are cheaper to mass produce. Why did Ford change mid 2018 production to a metal pan?, don’t really know! Maybe because hard core Baja users complained about warping pans due to excessive heat, maybe? However, the issue here for 80% of Raptor users that barely take their trucks off road is the “leaking oil pan” and the “leaking oil pan” is not due to a plastic pan, but it is to an assembly issue (quality control) where a batch of raptors had poor o very little rtv (adhesive) applied during the engine assembly process, causing these leaks and then to boot toppled with the crappy service departments of many dealerships that do not really take the time and effort to follow the guidelines on their workshop manuals to complete a proper repair and that is why we continue to read these horror stories!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SL75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MY2017 had the oil pan replaced at 10k miles and at 45k miles it is as dry as beach sand on a sunny day!! I do not understand what the fuzz is all about!! If a repair is done properly and following the workshop manual, it should not be an issue!! It is not rocket science!! The engine was designed with a plastic oil pan. Period!
71a9b9cd6621f2afa392907dada0f607.jpg
4883803a661647311bd303c0ee28f3f8.jpg

I think the only point is that Ford even knew it was a horrible design and they reverted back to a metal pan.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Many other car manufacturers are using plastic oil pans i.e. BMW and others!! Plastic oil pans are not new! And, I guess they are used primarily for weight savings and because they are cheaper to mass produce. Why did Ford change mid 2018 production to a metal pan?, don’t really know! Maybe because hard core Baja users complained about warping pans due to excessive heat, maybe? However, the issue here for 80% of Raptor users that barely take their trucks off road is the “leaking oil pan” and the “leaking oil pan” is not due to a plastic pan, but it is to an assembly issue (quality control) where a batch of raptors had poor o very little rtv (adhesive) applied during the engine assembly process, causing these leaks and then to boot toppled with the crappy service departments of many dealerships that do not really take the time and effort to follow the guidelines on their workshop manuals to complete a proper repair and that is why we continue to read these horror stories!

I hope so, I’m on my 3rd Pan at 22000 miles....

matt33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MY2017 had the oil pan replaced at 10k miles and at 45k miles it is as dry as beach sand on a sunny day!! I do not understand what the fuzz is all about!! If a repair is done properly and following the workshop manual, it should not be an issue!! It is not rocket science!! The engine was designed with a plastic oil pan. Period!
71a9b9cd6621f2afa392907dada0f607.jpg
4883803a661647311bd303c0ee28f3f8.jpg

If the plastic pan is not a problem, why are you on your 3rd one within 45,000 miles? Why did Ford switch to a metal oil pan midway through 2018?

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
#aalonso is not on his 3rd pan. His failed at 10K and was replaced and now he is at 45K with no issues.

If the plastic pan is not a problem, why are you on your 3rd one within 45,000 miles? Why did Ford switch to a metal oil pan midway through 2018?

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think the only point is that Ford even knew it was a horrible design and they reverted back to a metal pan.
Many other auto manufacturers are using composite oil pans and not having these leaking issues so I wouldn't say it is the material perse, it must be a combo of things here. The aluminum pan is only now preferable due to all the issues with the composite.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
My service advisor told me when I was in last time for the pan that ford had switched to a different RTV sealant.

aalonso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are confusing me with someone else!! My oil pan was replaced only **ONCE** at 10k miles and my truck currently has 45k miles and no oil is dripping!! The oil pan was properly, professionally and neatly installed!! The issue here is with the service tech and not the product!! You need to find a better dealership that is honest, profesional, follows guidelines and truly cares for the service that it strives to provide!!! It is not the truck, it is not Ford and it is not the design of the engine!!