Oil life monitor based on lower of time / mileage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bzogster

Reaction score
Just curious more than anything here, not that it really matters too much, but I got the oil changed (full synthetic) in my Gen 3 on 4/14 and have only driven 114 miles since. My OLM is down to 95%, which equates to only 2280 miles. At the same time, it equates to about 480 days.

Does the OLM go down if the vehicle just sits and isn’t driven? I realize they say you should change at time/mileage (although I have a car I drive 500 miles a year and change every other year and the oil looks brand new still, and blackstone reports come back perfect).

For those of you that drive a lot, how many miles have you driven to get down below 10% oil life?

UsedRaptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a Raptor but our Tremor F350 gasser went right around 9000 miles before it went below 10% and got changed.

LOUSCRW

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m curious what intervals does everyone use for getting oil changed.

The last few years, I have been averaging about 4000 miles per year. With my previous Tundra, Lexus, and Ram, I got the oil changed once per year. When I purchased the Raptor, I asked and they told me to get it changed ever 6 months. I’ve had my truck 2 months now, and I have about 700 miles on it. At this pace, I’ll have 2100 miles at 6 months.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m curious what intervals does everyone use for getting oil changed.

The last few years, I have been averaging about 4000 miles per year. With my previous Tundra, Lexus, and Ram, I got the oil changed once per year. When I purchased the Raptor, I asked and they told me to get it changed ever 6 months. I’ve had my truck 2 months now, and I have about 700 miles on it. At this pace, I’ll have 2100 miles at 6 months.

For the Raptor I do it every 5k or once/year, whichever is first. I use full synthetic.

julien194b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7K miles per year at time / so, one oil change per year. This engine don't like run whith burn or dirty oil,@LOUSCRW also, every six months if you don't drive a lot, I don't think it's necessary... What is written in the book ? I guess like my 20's , 8K miles max or every year ... Full synthetic high quality oil and filter each time !

Out topic : What about the gas filter , I don't read many things about it on FRF ? On my others diesel cars, I change it each oil change, so I am wondering !

fordfreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe it calculates time as well as mileage. I read on here somewhere where a guy only put a small amount of miles on in a year and his reminder came on just short of a year. Only had like 1500 miles or something......
I change every 4k, full synthetic, motorcraft filter. But I live in what they consider extreme conditions.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
6 months or 6,000 miles, whichever comes first.
I don't care what the onboard oil life monitor says because I change oil more frequently than what the monitor indicates.
But I have to reset the doggone thing every time. I don't think of it as either helpful or convenient.

Last edited:

Klockopotomis

Reaction score
I have been curious the same as the OP's question as well. Not sure how it is calculated and would love to know if it is oil quality or engine hours.