Oil coming from rearview mirror pod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FordTechOne

here’s the slip from service. Any ideas?

View attachment 151192

Sounds like you got a faulty replacement from the supplier, or the dealer is damaging the replacement sensor during the installation. It is critical that the windshield surface where the sensor mounts is clean. If they left residue or debris from the previous failed sensor, the new sensor may have been damaged upon installation.

Not sure why they claimed a road test for calibration; no calibration procedure is necessary for a rain sensor. Makes you wonder if they even read the WSM.

OP
OP
isis

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wipers didn’t work better or worse so I guess I’ll just clean the oil off myself since I’m into the ESP now. That’s all they wanted to do in the first place. I had to argue to get the replacement.

Road test is clearly for a tech hoon.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have seepage as well. When I first noticed it, I figured it was some type of adhesive that must secure the camera inside. I will have to take it in eventually.

Road test and calibrate the new rain sensor? Was he in luck and it was raining out? I’m sure he could have tested it out with a spray of the hose as well.

JasonSTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read this thread earlier this morning and then cleaned my windshield and noticed I have some stuff leaking out of my 2019. Add it to the list for a warranty visit- IWE/check valve, sync issue with ambient lighting/radio presets disappearing, driver mirror clicking and now the rain sensor leaking.

OP
OP
isis

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read this thread earlier this morning and then cleaned my windshield and noticed I have some stuff leaking out of my 2019. Add it to the list for a warranty visit- IWE/check valve, sync issue with ambient lighting/radio presets disappearing, driver mirror clicking and now the rain sensor leaking.
I’d just wipe it off and skip it. Mine is way worse since they ‘fixed’ it.

OP
OP
isis

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? Leaking again or they just put things back together really bad?
Lasted about 5 months before it started leaking again and it’s way worse this time.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lasted about 5 months before it started leaking again and it’s way worse this time.

That flat out sucks. Defective part or bad install. Oil leak on our windshield for rain detection. Never thought the day.

OP
OP
isis

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m quite annoyed by it.