Oil change question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait! Did you just say that you have race cars where you did not change your oil for over a year?

yes. even my old bosses 1200hp dry sumped gtr runs a whole season of time attack before an oil change. runs 14 quarts of either amsoil dominator or schaffers. car runs on e85 which is hard on oil too. All the cars and my truck have an oil analysis regularly.

My personal turbo subaru race car made it to 5500 miles per oil change and still hadnt depleted the zinc (additive package) in amsoil dominator on ethanol. That car gets oil once a year. Raced on a stock engine at double stock HP for almost 3 years.

So far i've ran amsoil signature to 9k miles on the raptor and it still has life left. I'll just change it once a year.

Old subaru EJ 2.5 turbo motor in my wifes wagon is also hard on oil. I could run that engine to 7500 before it degraded.

My chevy V8 in my personal tow vehicle (i used to use the shops duramax until i changed jobs, so now i tow with a gas truck. lame.) would hit 15k miles and the oil still came out fine. I changed that oil once a year too.

The only thing that gets ultra frequent oil changes is the race bike (husqvarna enduro). and thats because of dirt.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes. even my old bosses 1200hp dry sumped gtr runs a whole season of time attack before an oil change. runs 14 quarts of either amsoil dominator or schaffers. car runs on e85 which is hard on oil too. All the cars and my truck have an oil analysis regularly.

My personal turbo subaru race car made it to 5500 miles per oil change and still hadnt depleted the zinc (additive package) in amsoil dominator on ethanol. That car gets oil once a year. Raced on a stock engine at double stock HP for almost 3 years.

So far i've ran amsoil signature to 9k miles on the raptor and it still has life left. I'll just change it once a year.

Old subaru EJ 2.5 turbo motor in my wifes wagon is also hard on oil. I could run that engine to 7500 before it degraded.

My chevy V8 in my personal tow vehicle (i used to use the shops duramax until i changed jobs, so now i tow with a gas truck. lame.) would hit 15k miles and the oil still came out fine. I changed that oil once a year too.

The only thing that gets ultra frequent oil changes is the race bike (husqvarna enduro). and thats because of dirt.

That’s not racing. After about 500 track miles your oils viscosity will be low and out of spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just do whatever makes you sleep good at night. Based on my habits I tend to change right at 7500 or so regardless of what the car says. Plus it gives me a chance to get under there and take a look around.

Whatever duration you choose, just keep an eye on consumption, especially when going 10k+

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This car has 27,000 track miles and races global time attack limited class. oil change once a season. I go through tires, pads and transmissions more often than that.

Attachments

• IMG_20180104_105633_415.jpg
    IMG_20180104_105633_415.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s not racing. After about 500 track miles your oils viscosity will be low and out of spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that's not even remotely true unless this was 1970

my oil lasts me longer than transmissions do right now...sadly.

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

whats the best oil to use in a turbo?

anything modern will work fine. don't use a race oil or anything saying its high in zince unless you are catless. Amsoil claims they reduced tip in knock on DI engines and has a case study somewhere in their blog about it. I cant log tip in knock to verify since the Ngauge is so damn antiquated though.

Listen to the oil change light unless youre running a mobil, BOSS, EA, wix, or roayal purple oil filter. Then you can extend it out to more mileage. The stock motorcraft oil filter isn't rated for high mileage and hits its limit before the additive package in the oil is used up. With one of the filters i mentioned you could use an oil like amsoil signature and go 15k miles. Or just use whatever the dealer has in stock and change it when the OC light comes on.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did my first oil change at 7500 - still had about 20% life left (even with all the offroad miles) but I needed to rotate the tires and wanted to get it all for free at the dealer.

They were supposed to sample my oil for me, but the tech remembered right after he dumped it. Once I get down to 5% this time I'll get it changed and sample it to see how we're looking.