Off Road Storage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In all likelihood all you need is a couple pelican, roam (pick your brand) cases strapped down.

I have a giant one full of gear strapped down, fits under a tonneau cover. comes out when needed.
If you need two or three, there you go. and doesn't cost a ton.

I don't need to look like i'm taking on the baja 500 at all times.

If you feel the need, strap your spare down to the bed as well.

You can do this without dropping 2k
I like the pelican and roam boxes but if the goal is savings, the Plano boxes I have were $24 each. For that price they are some of the sturdiest cheap totes I have seen. I do wish they had tie down loops that I could use and not strap over the lid, but hey they were about $50, so…

raptor556

Reaction score
I like the pelican and roam boxes but if the goal is savings, the Plano boxes I have were $24 each. For that price they are some of the sturdiest cheap totes I have seen. I do wish they had tie down loops that I could use and not strap over the lid, but hey they were about $50, so…
I'd think the goal would be to do the job without spending more money for no reason.

plano probably gets it done, but they are not on the same level. hard to beat that price though

just looked. ******** pelican has gotten expensive. i'd be pissed if my case wasn't already like 17 years old

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd think the goal would be to do the job without spending more money for no reason.

plano probably gets it done, but they are not on the same level. hard to beat that price though

just looked. ******** pelican has gotten expensive. i'd be pissed if my case wasn't already like 17 years old

Yea stuff is pricy for sure. And agreed on the comparison. I needed something for a trip and those fit the bill. Kept running them since they actually held up pretty well. My craftsman totes starting collapsing pretty quick by comparison.

I still run my bed cover even though I have the bypass rack. At minimum it keeps prying eyes from being able to see everything.

I wish the Plano’s locked, but even if they did, you could probably still get into them pretty easy.

I do really like the lid organizer on the Roam’s. One day I’ll probably pick one up or something similar, but for now what I have get’s the job done.

raptor556

Reaction score
Yea stuff is pricy for sure. And agreed on the comparison. I needed something for a trip and those fit the bill. Kept running them since they actually held up pretty well. My craftsman totes starting collapsing pretty quick by comparison.

I still run my bed cover even though I have the bypass rack. At minimum it keeps prying eyes from being able to see everything.

I wish the Plano’s locked, but even if they did, you could probably still get into them pretty easy.

I do really like the lid organizer on the Roam’s. One day I’ll probably pick one up or something similar, but for now what I have get’s the job done.
how do you run a bypass rack with a bed cover?

yeah, locks don't hold anyone out. I cut two master locks with a grinder/cutting wheel in about 4 seconds recently.

so as a side note. get marine locks for stuff in your truck bed. mine were all corroded after a year.

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Current setup with the RST16. Ordered the Built Right Industries rear panels though a week or so back for the 2 orange pelican cases. RPG's RST16 holds the Raceworks 3 ton aluminum racing jack with skid, and 2 5 gallons fuel jugs.

IMG_7891.jpg

These guys run great deals on their cases: https://www.buycasesforless.com/?gc...iRmlySwBEhOXaa_LmsHFnZKCIEVvLAdwaAhz_EALw_wcB

In case you're wondering, I use this setup heavily offroad without issue. Just got back from Baja last week for the 250 in San Felipe.

IMG_8473.jpg

Last edited:

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
how do you run a bypass rack with a bed cover?

yeah, locks don't hold anyone out. I cut two master locks with a grinder/cutting wheel in about 4 seconds recently.

so as a side note. get marine locks for stuff in your truck bed. mine were all corroded after a year.
Top of my rack is about 6” or so from the bed rails. Bedcover clears pretty easy. I’ll try and find a picture.

Good call on the marine locks.