Off Road Modes at Higher Speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fb73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reading this thread, I just realized that if you don't like ORM mode but drive high speed off road, you just can't have the ELD locked as it will disengage automatically (12mph in 2H and 25mph in 4Hi right ?).

When the ELD automatically disengages above these speeds, does it stay disengaged or it reactivates below these speeds ? I never thought of looking at the dash to check how the ELD works while driving...

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Reading this thread, I just realized that if you don't like ORM mode but drive high speed off road, you just can't have the ELD locked as it will disengage automatically (12mph in 2H and 25mph in 4Hi right ?).

When the ELD automatically disengages above these speeds, does it stay disengaged or it reactivates below these speeds ? I never thought of looking at the dash to check how the ELD works while driving...

I could be wrong, but I think you CAN'T engage it above 25mph 2/4hi and 12mph 4lo.... I've been wrong once before.

Fb73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I think you CAN'T engage it above 25mph 2/4hi and 12mph 4lo.... I've been wrong once before.

check my attached picture Jimbo

A few days ago I was off roading on some high speed trails, 2WD, Sport mode and I decided to try ELD locked to work my drifting skills, was working good at the beginning but now i believe the ELD was disengaging itself...
I always do the 2WD/4WD and ELD switching at complete stop or very low speed to preserve IWEs and gears, so I can check everything is engaged, but didn't notice if the ELD was unlocking on the dash display...need to give it a try again...

Attachments

• 2011OffroadOverview02.jpg
    2011OffroadOverview02.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 156

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score

A few days ago I was off roading on some high speed trails, 2WD, Sport mode and I decided to try ELD locked to work my drifting skills, was working good at the beginning but now i believe the ELD was disengaging itself...
I always do the 2WD/4WD and ELD switching at complete stop or very low speed to preserve IWEs and gears, so I can check everything is engaged, but didn't notice if the ELD was unlocking on the dash display...need to give it a try again...

:emotions133: <---- you should know what that flag is, you French folks used to wave that all the time :evillol:

I didn't know that!

Fb73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:emotions133: <---- you should know what that flag is, you French folks used to wave that all the time :evillol:

Hey, guess what color my Raptor is ?!

Here is a white on white on white picture, classic french situation !

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 98

Dan06

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Mine does it sometimes too and I know other ppl that have the same issue. I usually get a funky warning when it kicks out tho. Sucks when the 4x4 doesn't work and ur relying on the ELD to climb up/over stuff.

OP
OP
WyoStorm

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Like it says, it will disengage above 25 mph in 4H and 12 mph in 4L if ORM is not on. I think it reengages below 20 mph in 4H. I have no idea how 4L acts. If ORM is on, then it will stay locked to top speed.

And I'm like you, I always stop when switching 4x modes. I don't think our supplement covers all these possibilities. F150 manual mentions reengagment below 20 mph but then it also talks about crazy 4L speeds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc