Off road air - Different option?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12951
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hackleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been down this road. My buddy has the ARB twin mounted under his hood. I ahve the Co2 tank.

PROS/CONS

ARB is small and you always have it.
The CO2 tank is bulky but gives you instant on demand air at 150psi.
The CO2 tank can run impacts!

check out Quality Off Road Parts & Accessories Since 1999 for great prices on CO2 tanks.

My opinion:
CO2 is the way to go!!! i got the 15 or 20lb bottle. IT IS HUGE!
if i could do it again, i would buy the bottle that is short enough to fit under my bed cover. mine is too tall. If you want to buy my big bottle I will sell it to you, i would like a shorter one. PM if interested.

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 10# power tank is to tall to stand up under the F1 cover. I have it in a track bag and lay it down for causal travel. On a run I strap it in or mount the carrier braket depneding on what the event is and the room I need.

I have only had one time I felt I needed a bigger bottle. But that problem is now gone since I won a discount on a brand new set up so I bought a electric blue 10# and the latest greatest accessories. Oxi carry both 10# the total weight is under 6lb

Az Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the CO2 tank, and I have the battery powered impact. I love both. I don't carry the CO2 everywhere I go, but I am able to throw the impact in my truck, carry the charger with two batteries, and charge it, if needed off my 120 volt outlet in my truck, that everyone forgets that they have. It has come in handy when I have had to change a tire when an employee gets a flat. That is just the way I roll.
I do have the smitty bilt tank, and am pleased with the value. I just roll up to a welding shop and they air it right up, when needed.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The ridged seems bulky and at 74lb is heavy, once gased and tank filled it would work well.

I have been ruining 2 options CO2 and a quick air portable compressor (like viair) both are 15+ years old and no failures or maintiance issues.

My CO2 is a 10# power tank that I upgraded the regulator (for performance not failure) and even though it cost a bunch of money it has served well. Divided out the price over the years was about $32 and going down since it still works like new. $13 to fill it 2 or 3 times a year since I have air at home it only gets used on the road or trail. It weighs 30lb with all the accessorys and hose. Fast and reliable and runs air tools.

My quick air portable compressor is nice but I have to run it off the truck battery, it will reach all the tires but it is slower then the power tank. It is lighter still then the CO2 option and takes up less space. Works well just not as fast and it is only for airing tires not air tools.

You won't go wrong with ether of theses it all comes down to personal preference. The cost of the power tank is high but you will get many years of use out of it so the long term cost is not so bad. The quality of the power tank system is top notch. As someone posted you can make you own CO2 set up for less money then power tank and if you are on a budget that is the route I would go.

Good points about CO2 tank use. Powertank is way over-priced. Their products are top-notch but spend. Some are worth considering like their brackets.

I have been down this road. My buddy has the ARB twin mounted under his hood. I ahve the Co2 tank.

PROS/CONS

ARB is small and you always have it.
The CO2 tank is bulky but gives you instant on demand air at 150psi.
The CO2 tank can run impacts!

check out Quality Off Road Parts & Accessories Since 1999 for great prices on CO2 tanks.

My opinion:
CO2 is the way to go!!! i got the 15 or 20lb bottle. IT IS HUGE!
if i could do it again, i would buy the bottle that is short enough to fit under my bed cover. mine is too tall. If you want to buy my big bottle I will sell it to you, i would like a shorter one. PM if interested.

15 or 20 lb. tanks are large. The links above have a link to a thread started by Kaiser and includes some installation options like an angled bracket that allows tanks to be mounted under bed covers.

goinsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the jump starter with air compressor as well. It's really heavy duty but will not fill a tire nearly as fast as a CO tank. I've only used it once to put some air in two of my tires after the TPMS sensor came on. I also have the VIAIR 85P and used it on two of the tires as well. They are nearly identical in time to add air. If I remember correctly, it took them both about 3 minutes to add 10 psi to a tire.

Jump-N-Carry JNCAIR 1700-Amp 12-Volt Jump Starter with Power Source and Air Compressor : Amazon.com : Automotive

Amazon.com: VIAIR 85P Portable Air Compressor: Automotive

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So a brand new 10# CO2 tank

tn2_large_bfc10100109133705.jpg

costs $84.99

And a HyperFlo MAX 0-250psi Adjustable CO2 Regulator

HyperFlo MAX 0-250psi Adjustable CO2 Regulator

costs $137.00

Note: Adjustable regulator will enable you to dial down the pressure if/when you want to use air power tools with the tank. Otherwise you could run a fixed pressure regulator running about 150 psi.

You might want to add a tank boot and a bracket and a hose with filler and some other accessories (available cheap at Home Depot, Lowes, Harbor Freight, etc.).

For Xmas my mom got me a Stanley Pro Fat Max power inverter. Does multiple things. I use that. Hasn't let me down yet and also can jump a truck if the battery dies, has a flashlight, and multiple power ports

Stanley Fatmax Professional 1000 Peak Amp Power Station W 500w Inverter | $143.00 | Jump Starters

Nice Mom. That's a lot of money and the air compressor won't do much for a Raptor.

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So a brand new 10# CO2 tank costs $84.99 And a HyperFlo MAX 0-250psi Adjustable CO2 Regulator HyperFlo MAX 0-250psi Adjustable CO2 Regulator costs $137.00 Note: Adjustable regulator will enable you to dial down the pressure if/when you want to use air power tools with the tank. Otherwise you could run a fixed pressure regulator running about 150 psi. You might want to add a tank boot and a bracket and a hose with filler and some other accessories (available cheap at Home Depot, Lowes, Harbor Freight, etc.). Nice Mom. That's a lot of money and the air compressor won't do much for a Raptor.

Won't do much??? I've used it twice after runs. It filled all 4 of my tires back to 40 PSI. Took it's sweet time but it did it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

Won't do much??? I've used it twice after runs. It filled all 4 of my tires back to 40 PSI. Took it's sweet time but it did it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

From 0 psi?

Sent using Tapatalk