OEM Navigation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
willis68

willis68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, I just went through this with my Dad's Sport Trac Adrenalin. To install the NAV in a NON-NAV truck is INSANE.

In my opinion, it's NOT worth it. Hardly ever will it work 100% like it supposed to. There is so much that has to be wired in, changed out, reconfigured...

Thanks for this, I decided it is not worth it and I love my truck I will go ahead with the DVD headrests this year though thev9 inch screens and built in independent DVD players, I should get a good deal on this from my dealer

203kris

Reaction score
After reading the F150 forum posts I decided to give this a try. One of the guys there says that his installed system works just fine. I got the nav system in the mail yesterday and took it to an car audio shop to see about an install. They looked and the nav system and my truck and didn't think anything would be a problem.

What I know about car audio wouldn't fill a pamphlet so I'm crossing my fingers on this one. A friend of mine got an aftermarket DVD NAV installed in his Nissan GT-R a few months back with no issues so I'm hoping his luck will rub off on me.

OP
OP
willis68

willis68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading the F150 forum posts I decided to give this a try. One of the guys there says that his installed system works just fine. I got the nav system in the mail yesterday and took it to an car audio shop to see about an install. They looked and the nav system and my truck and didn't think anything would be a problem.

What I know about car audio wouldn't fill a pamphlet so I'm crossing my fingers on this one. A friend of mine got an aftermarket DVD NAV installed in his Nissan GT-R a few months back with no issues so I'm hoping his luck will rub off on me.

Let me know how it goes

203kris

Reaction score
Let me know how it goes

Allright, well so far this install has been a disaster. Part of the problem was the install guys- I live in a small town and the Best Buy is the most reputable place to go to. I'm not saying that Best Buy car audio installation can't be done correctly, but mine went far from smooth. What I can't make up my mind yet is whether the issues are mainly the installation or mainly the product.

I just got my truck back a few hours ago, so I am still playing around with this things. If I figure out how to fix any of the issues below in the next few days I'll update it.

Things I've noticed so far:

1) English typos on the nav screen. I could actually find the Engrish funny and a plus (like the Engrish in the manual), but it's just plain typos. "Co nnect Bluetooth"

2) The Nav system does not match the instruction manual. Not the pictures of the physical product and not the the screen capture pictures. They are similar, but not enough to make the manual useful. As a result the instructions talking you through how navigate the menus are pretty worthless.

3) When my phone is connected by bluetooth I can play music but all controls except for volume have to be done on my phone. Also the "Music" section doesn't recognize visually that it's playing music at all (no info on track playing, time elapsed, etc).

4) No steering wheel controls. Funny, bc it mentions that it comes equipped for steering wheel controls.

5) DVD player seems to run normally. All controls through the touchscreen.

6) Can't listen to music while operating the navigation program. It's like if you want to listen to music you have to be in the music section (which again displays blank information for the track being played), and then if you want to navigate it turns off the music.

7) When searching for an address in the navigation program it won't let me search for an actual address, only down to the street level. So if I wanted to find 7689 W. 35th Lane Phoenix, AZ, I can only search to find 35th Lane in Phoenix, AZ. What's strange is the it has a line for a numbered address but it is 'grey' (can't select). I've gone through every menu in the navigation program and can't figure this out.

I'm going to play with it more this weekend. I already wrote the company to explain my issues and asking for either assistance (software update perhaps, or a better manual) or a refund.

203kris

Reaction score
Here's an update on this no name Chinese nav system. I had this weekend to play with it as I went to Tucson. I resolved most of the issues, which I'll get into below (along with some pictures to show you guys the system).

It's hard for me to give a definite thumbs up/thumbs down on this thing because this is my first DVD Nav system in one of my vehicles. I'm an old hand with handheld GPSs for hiking (and using them in a vehicle), and using my cell phone as a navigator but not an in-dash unit. I'm come to conclude that the nav system was most definitely helpful in Tucson as far as anticipating upcoming streets, etc, but I never needed to really use it to find a particular address. Maybe that will change, but for now I'm not so much concerned with how 'good' the navigation function is compared with brand name units.

Ok....on to it. Reference the above numbers as far as the issue.
1)Engrish - I noticed that after I set up my phone to auto-connect with bluetooth that I never saw that particular message or any other typos. I think that an 'Engrish' option for the voice guidance would be awesome: “Take care- road being born ahead. No go or truck become very angry” :)
2)The manual – Can't change this. The manual still sucks. I was able to work around it with playing around in the menus.
3) & 4) Bluetooth and steering wheel controls – MOSTLY fixed. Track forward and track back work, along with volume up and volume down. I learned to NOT push the voice command button or the Sync starts talking (which doesn't do anything). Also the phone button doesn't do anything. There is a menu in the nav system for assigning steering wheel controls, so with some more experimentation I hope to assign all of the rest to their original functions (except sync I guess). The bluetooth music still won't appear in the music section, but since I default it to the navigation map it doesn't bug me.
5)DVD player still normal. It has an input channel for a TV tuner as well. I haven't received anything but static in it so far with the analog tuner, so perhaps a digital tuner will get me some random tv channels.
6)Music while navigating – Fixed. I can play bluetooth music or music stored on the system.
7)Searching for addresses – Fixed (well, more like I figured out that I was doing it wrong)

As a summary of what you can do with the system to customize it, I'll tell you guys what I have done so far.

It comes with a 4GB MicroSD memory card, where it stores the maps/skins/etc. I copied it all to a 32 GB MicroSD card of mine and added a few gigs of music and some photos (for the wallpaper). I'm still experimenting with what video formats work for video files so I can add DVD quality movies to the memory card

I've looked up skins and themes to download online and found a number of websites (some free and some paysites), so it looks like this thing is fully customizable. Also I believe that I can replace the navigation program with any other that it compatible with Windows CE.

I'm going to try to post some pictures below of it installed and some of the screens.

203kris

Reaction score
You'll notice that in a couple of these the smaller screen above the nav system has changed. When I'm streaming bluetooth music from my cell phone it displays some code-looking name ("A2DP A2DP"). I'm still trying to figure out if I can change this somehow to at least something like "Bluetooth Music", if not making it go away all together.

In another of them it displays what number the MP3 is that is playing (i.e. "MP3 Track 20/190"). Again, something I'm looking to change.

It seems so far that the only things still functional on this top screen are the compass direction, temperature, and A/C temperature display. So basically everything on the far right and left are ok, it's the middle that has changed.

In one of the closeups of the main screen you'll see the main menu. I set a picture of my girlfriend as the wallpaper and it turned out not quite so centered- that's an adjustment for later to make. Points to make here:
- It keeps reverting the date format to "day/month".
- The time and date keeps changing to incorrect. I have the time zone
set correctly in the menus so I'm not sure why this is.
- It displays again the "MP3 20/191" message. It will display the
correct artist and title of the track- the track displayed is a
downloaded song that I haven't filled in the info yet.

So still a work in progress. The more I see those finger print smudges in these photos though is inching me closer to repainting this thing.

Edited to add: My girlfriend pointed out that I wrote that I didn't see anymore typos and yet in the picture with her in it it says "Unknow Artist". Ooops. Once I fill in the track name and artist that will be taken care of.

Attachments

• IMG_20120108_174131.jpg
    IMG_20120108_174131.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20120108_183339.jpg
    IMG_20120108_183339.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20120108_183344.jpg
    IMG_20120108_183344.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20120108_183349.jpg
    IMG_20120108_183349.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20120108_183503.jpg
    IMG_20120108_183503.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Yogurt Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OEM Navigation, Aftermarket, or Other?? Help me

As someone who just purchased his dream truck a "2012 Race Red Raptor" 3 weeks ago. The only thing I did not get that I would have ordered was Navigation and tailgate step. I lucked up and found my brand new truck at a nearby dealership while I was in the process of ordering one from Ford and then have to wait 3 months for it to be built and arrive. At the same time my trade-in would be adding more & more miles to it and value going down down..

I have created a list of all things I want to start adding on my truck yet I decided that this being my DREAM TRUCK I needed to start from where i initially intended as if I ordered it # 1 Navigation
1.) " Would you vouch for this system" or would "
2.) " Would you purchase a different aftermarket Pioneer/Kenwood/Sony etc. type unit
3.) Would you go OEM and spend 3K-5K having Ford install a unit

I would appreciate it if anyone who has a honest opinion to help me in this decision. I am a new member " Yogurt Raptor" who has only posted one time before and who just built my profile a few weeks ago but loves the fact that this forum is here for people like me who can have people honestly help a novice like myself make the proper decision.

Please help me make this decision