Odd reverse steering & suspension problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I seem to have an odd issue when in reverse while turning only (and the wheel makes a clunking sound that seems to be coming directly behind the wheel, when turning when parked around the 9-3 position). When I’m backing and turning it almost seems like my truck is driving on uneven surface and I get some feedback in the steering wheel. Not too much noise but definitely not as smooth as going forward. Just got the truck a few weeks ago and noticed it real good at dinner tonight. Going to do some testing tomorrow but I didn’t know if anyone else has this issue.

Suspension looks fine but the truck has 90k on it and I’m willing to bet the shocks have not been rebuilt. Even thought they look brand new. Steering wheel has zero play and doesn’t make any noise if I rock it back and forth. The only thing I’ve done is had it set on mid perch. Thanks in advance.

The more i look, seems to be the ISS, which is comical as i just left the GM world and that was a buzz word.

Last edited:

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The shock condition shouldn't matter I wouldn't think. if there old there old going forward or reverse.

OP
OP
CleverGirl_

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
The shock condition shouldn't matter I wouldn't think. if there old there old going forward or reverse.
That was my thought as well, just throwing info out. I know it could use a front end refresh, just wondering what's considered "normal" with these rigs.
Had the lifetime alignment at firestone and all they said to me was my tires are cupped. Usually they try to sell you services which was odd.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CleverGirl_

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
Look under the suspension, you might have a Miata or something stuck under there.

JK, I'd jack up the front and cycle everything first. Something's probably loose.
nice hahah, yea after work its getting the ol wobble test.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like something is bound up in the front suspension. When you changed the spring perch, did you follow all of the torque specs and procedures? The lower shock bolt torque is 406 lb-ft and it needs to be tightened at ride height. That typically requires a torque multiplier.

Also note that the lower shock bolt, upper shock nuts, tie rod end nut, stabilizer bar link nut, upper ball joint nut, and shock rod retaining nut are all one-time use fasteners, meaning they are supposed to be replaced anytime they are removed.

OP
OP
CleverGirl_

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
Sounds like something is bound up in the front suspension. When you changed the spring perch, did you follow all of the torque specs and procedures? The lower shock bolt torque is 406 lb-ft and it needs to be tightened at ride height. That typically requires a torque multiplier.

Also note that the lower shock bolt, upper shock nuts, tie rod end nut, stabilizer bar link nut, upper ball joint nut, and shock rod retaining nut are all one-time use fasteners, meaning they are supposed to be replaced anytime they are removed.
Im almost certain this was not followed, now that you mention it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter