Odd power loss when driving...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1ss2nv

Reaction score
So I noticed about 2 weeks ago I was driving (70mph) and all of the sudden the truck felt like it went to neutral for a second or 2 and then went back to normal. Only did it that day so I ignored it. But 2 weeks later it seems it does
it once or twice while driving to work. I started to look as the dash every time it does it now and I don't see the RPMs rev up and I don't see that the trans shifts out of 6th on the display. I did however notice that the fuel display shows my MPG jump up as if I were to have let off the gas but then quickly drops back down to the 13.5 MPG line it was at before. Any ideas whats causing this? I have about 200 miles left before the 36k warranty is out so I would like it fixed before then!

Thanks

OP
OP

1ss2nv

Reaction score
So after thinking about it I don't believe it's the trans because if it were slipping I would see the RPMs go up. And there isn't any power loss
but more like the gas peddle is released for a second and then picks right back up. (I assume this is why I see the MPG on the display go up) But I never tel off the gas. If this helps any

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I noticed about 2 weeks ago I was driving (70mph) and all of the sudden the truck felt like it went to neutral for a second or 2 and then went back to normal...

It sounds like there's a trip to the dealership in your future, 1ss2nv. When you head in, see if you can take your tech on a test drive to replicate what you're experiencing. Which model year is your Raptor?

Crystal

Dirt Bag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck was doing the same thing under load like stomping it or off-roading.
After numerous trips to the dealership (and a couple good nudges from Crystal's team at Ford) they pinned the problem down to the transition wiring harness.
On the 6.2s the harness wraps up and around the bell housing can make contact with the chassis and after time, rub through one of the wires that will cause the transition to shift in to a "default" mode when grounding out.
Ford sent a new harness and they rerouted the wires to keep it from happening again.
No problem seen since the repairs

OP
OP

1ss2nv

Reaction score
Crystal I dropped it off this morning and no tech was available to go for a ride so I explained it the best I could so we will see.

2012 SCREW w/ 35900 miles

---------- Post added at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

Dirt Bag, that sounds about right. May need them to drive on some rough roads to see if that will make it easier for them to find the issue. Im checking with them in a few hours to see if they found anything.

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

Crystal, you think you might be able to help me out? I just got a call from the dealer and they said they aren't finding anything. I'd really hate to pick up my truck not fixed and the warranty is up in 2 weeks or 100 miles. I asked them
to do me a favor and check the harness Dirt Bag was talking about it but didn't sound like he really wanted to.

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP

1ss2nv

Reaction score
It sounds like there's a trip to the dealership in your future, 1ss2nv. When you head in, see if you can take your tech on a test drive to replicate what you're experiencing. Which model year is your Raptor?

Crystal

Well tech called back and says he didn't see any issues and didn't see anything with the harness, which I'm sure they didn't look at. Said nothing else they can do. So I guess not I drive until it's out of warranty and get stuck with a bill once they do find the issue?

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
...After numerous trips to the dealership (and a couple good nudges from Crystal's team at Ford) they pinned the problem down to the transition wiring harness.
On the 6.2s the harness wraps up and around the bell housing can make contact with the chassis and after time, rub through one of the wires that will cause the transition to shift in to a "default" mode when grounding out.
Ford sent a new harness and they rerouted the wires to keep it from happening again.
No problem seen since the repairs

I'm glad I was able to help, Dirt Bag! Thanks for the shout-out!

...Crystal, you think you might be able to help me out? I just got a call from the dealer and they said they aren't finding anything. I'd really hate to pick up my truck not fixed and the warranty is up in 2 weeks or 100 miles. I asked them
to do me a favor and check the harness Dirt Bag was talking about it but didn't sound like he really wanted to.

Thanks

Hi 1ss2nv,

Yep, let's see what I can do. Send over your info in a PM, including your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll get to work!

Crystal

OP
OP

1ss2nv

Reaction score
I'm glad I was able to help, Dirt Bag! Thanks for the shout-out!

Hi 1ss2nv,

Yep, let's see what I can do. Send over your info in a PM, including your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll get to work!

Crystal

Sent! Mileage is 35,908 miles