Notorious Driveline Clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I read a few of the threads about the notorious driveline clunk. I've had it ever since I changed out the drive shaft for one from Axle Exchange. I took my drive shaft off this weekend and filled inside of the splined end with grease and re-installed. Clunk gone.

The shop that last installed the drive shaft used loctite on the 4 bolts. It sure would have been nice to know that. ANYWAYS - What are your thoughts on re-applying loctitie? I did not, but thinking maybe I should????

TIA

Brian

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's a good idea for sure.
Having said that,
I don't because I grease the inside of the yoke every two years or whenever I notice the cluck coming to a stop

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The bolts are considered one-time use. Meaning they should be replaced and not reused. The new bolts will come with the locking compound already on the threads.

However, the Workshop Manual notes the following, which is rare:

NOTE: If new bolts are not available, coat the threads of the original driveshaft flange bolts with threadlock and sealer.