NorCal- Lost Coast Run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigg50

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We leave 9am sharp. Meeting at the Safeway on 845 S Main St, Willits, CA 95490.

Short and sweet details-

Where: Northern California Coast

When: Now targeting weekend of April 19th

We will be camping Saturday night at Shelter Cove RV and Campground. Cost is $15/person. To reserve under the group rate just tell them you're part of the "Lost Coast Run".

Contact
492 Machi Rd.
Shelter Cove, CA
Inquiries or Reservations:
707-986-7474
Contact | Shelter Cove RV Park

Who's going (Run is open to all trucks/SUV's):

Bigg50
MB RAP
BigBrother
Icecobra
SVTCALI

ihavegas
Danactive
plotshots
manny
TheBigRig

Tbone
ruffstuff

Non Raptors:
FJ Cruiser
2 Tundra's

Maybe:
BigJ
Turbo95max

-------------------------------------------
Gear you want to bring. If you don't have everything on this list, don't sweat it. Between the group we'll have you covered. However, it's always good to be prepared.

Required Gear:
• 5 Gallons of extra fuel
• Recovery rope / strap – Rated for your vehicle AT LEAST 20 FEET
• (2) D-rings / shackles
• Spare Tire/repair kit at least one spare tire but better off with two- you can get a repair kit at your local auto parts store

• For radios we will be running VHF on the following MURS frequencies:
Channel 72 Marine radio or 156.625 Frequency-
• If all you have is a regular walkie talkie bring that as well.

• Camping gear (tent / sleeping bag etc.)
• Flash light
• Proper Weather Attire – Plan on it being low 40’s at night.

If everyone brings some wood we will have enough...

Recommended Gear:
Helmets are highly recomended, if your vehicle is in motion you can bounce your skull of the A pillar very easily

• Off Highway GPS – Garmin, Lowrance, etc. (should have route upload capability)
• Floor Jack with wood blocks
• Shovel
• Fire extinguisher (Contact WSI for mounting solutions)
• Auxiliary lighting
• First aid kit – (Anyone a licensed medic?, but bring your own supplies)
• Bug repellent
• Camera / Go-pro
• Trail snacks / drinks
• Food for camp if desired*
Anything you think of please add to the list and Bigg50 can paste it to the first page

-------------------------------------------

Hey Guys,

After throwing this out on the Northwest section it sound like there's enough interest to get this run going. As of right now I'm going to target the weekend of April 12th. I'm open to pushing it if it would make for a better turnout. I'll probably make a prerun for the 2nd half of the run since I didn't go all the way last time. And thanks MB RAP for volunteering to help with the prerun.

Here's what I'm thinking as far as timeline.

-The run will start 9am sharp in Willits CA. For those who don't want to make the long drive early Saturday morning to get to Willits it may be a good idea to come up Friday and camp or stay in a hotel. I camped last time I made this run. However, I need to find a better camp ground. I stayed in a KOA for the first and last time. It was so cramped.

-Saturday we make it to Shelter Cove where we camp for the night.

-Sunday those who want to head home can. For those who want to stay we could either head to the dunes or up Kings Peak trail heading North out of Shelter Cove. According to puddle hunter its a 30 mile gravel road.

-For those who stay Sunday we would then head back to Shelter Cove to stay another night and head home Monday.

So who's in!!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

----------------------

Here are the details of the run. I copied this from the other thread. I'll be updating this first post with more detailed information as I solidify the details of this run further.

Hey guys, I wanted to share a run I made last year with my Jeep buddies. I'm not sure if you guys are familiar with the "Lost Coast" area of California but it the Northern California coast which is absolutely beautiful. The run we made started in Willits CA ( about 2.5 hours north of San Francisco) and consisted of taking an a logging road called Sherwood Rd. towards the coast for about 20-25 miles. You can definitely get on it but the only danger is if someone is coming the other way there could be a problem :D This road then dumps you into Fort Bragg.

From there you take 101 North for abour 35-45 minutes to Usal Rd. This takes you up along the coast with some of the most spectacular views of what Northern California has to offer. I would say they are "stunning". There is a really neat State Park along the way called Sinkyone which has camping (no bathrooms or facilities) with a beautiful beach. We chose to camp there but we had planned on going all the way to Shelter Cove (about another 18 miles) but it was to late in the day. I think we would have no problem making it as I'm guessing we'd be traveling at a higher rate of speed :) Shelter Cove has Camping along with a couple hotels for guys who might not want to "ruff" it.

Let me know if you guys would be interested in a run and I can start putting it together. It's not going to be your highspeed 60-80 mph open desert run but it's a great chance to explore/see some of the beautiful sites Norther California has to offer.

Usal Road leg of the run:
IMG_0136.jpg
IMG_0134.jpg
IMG_0124.jpgIMG_0082.jpg
IMG_0086.jpg
IMG_0084.jpg
IMG_0091.jpg
IMG_0075.jpg
IMG_0078.jpg
P1020192.jpg

Sherwood Rd. Leg:

P1020153.jpg
P1020125.jpg

-----------------------

More pics from the run:
Jeep-Lost Coast Photos by biigg50 | Photobucket

Last edited:

MB RAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in. Here are the names I pulled off the initial thread that are interested.

Bigg50
MB RAP
cups
Icecobra
nosbusa (The Car Stereo Company)
puddle hunter

OP
OP
B

Bigg50

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I look forward to this and since my family is from Willits it is like going home for me...

Perfect! Do you know of any good camp grounds in the area other than KOA?

I'm in. Here are the names I pulled off the initial thread that are interested.

Bigg50
MB RAP
cups
Icecobra
nosbusa (The Car Stereo Company)
puddle hunter

Thanks buddy! I'll update the first post and keep a running tab or who's going.