Noob help! How do I know it needs suspension work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocsteady

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First timer here and a thousand pardons if my search-fu is lacking but with this being my first Raptor, a 2012 with 86,000 miles, I have a question for the more experienced. Of course, it rides completely differently than my 2018 F150 XL, which was my first pickup after having nearly useless sports cars for years. The previous owner seemed to be pretty regular with services but some of the records just say "serviced" not getting into any specifics. About the only things I can track are part replacements and oil changes. I scheduled with Globex in Toms River for front and rear rebuilds and replacing front springs (one's cracked) but that's not until May at the current rate. So my big question is:

how do I tell if the shocks need to be serviced? If you purchased used, did you drive another one and know it was different? If you owned since new, i'm sure you noticed something that degraded over time.

(I have read about "mid perch" and think I'm going to keep it stock as it's mostly a daily driver and won't see a ton of off-roading.)

Thanks for your help,

Dave

Last edited:

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm curious to know more about the truck. Have not seen many "cracked" springs on stock trucks, so may want to dig into that a bit.
As for Mid-Perch vs Bottom perch... I've had a couple stock Raptors and preferred Mid even for daily driving. More planted, doesn't nose dive on the brakes and sits closer to level.
The Fox 2.5 shocks are designed to be rebuilt. General consensus is rebuild at 50k for street driven vehicles and sooner for off-road trucks. My 2013 needed rebuild at 25k, but it saw a lot of dirt and not much pavement..lol

With a busted spring, I would probably think your truck has seen some use! If you are not interested in upgrades, buy a new set of shocks from Rock Auto. Its not much more than what you will pay to rebuild them, and no down time.
Geiser Bros has an upgraded spring too.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree if the spring is cracked id be doing a rebuild on the shocks or new. also mid perch is the way to go. e-30 clean burning 94 octane rocks