No power to new lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lissailor

Reaction score
I tested the lights on the bar and all was good. Took them off to tidy the wiring. Put it back in and now no juice. I checked the 40amp fuse on the harness and the Aux15amp in the box. I can’t see any indication on the 60amp fuse on the relay. Wiring looks good. What should I check next?

OP
OP
L

lissailor

Reaction score
I have 12v for the backlights only (oddly only on the spots, and not the driving lamps). There is no voltage at the end of the red wire and before the lights.

OP
OP
L

lissailor

Reaction score
How do you have the lights wired?

Battery to a relay to a splitter to the lights. I think that’s the correct terminology. There is a 40amp fuse in-line to the + cable. There is a 60amp fuse that is downstream from that but it doesn’t have a window. It’s a little box. This is the SVP kit with 4 Rigid 360 6” lights on a bar.

OP
OP
L

lissailor

Reaction score
What exactly did "tidy the wiring" entail?

I connected the bar without zip tying the splitter underneath tight and out of sight. Everything worked. So I took the bar back to the bench and cleaned it up. Maybe one of the times I reconnected after I reversed the side of the connector (and polarity)? Is that possible?

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I connected the bar without zip tying the splitter underneath tight and out of sight. Everything worked. So I took the bar back to the bench and cleaned it up. Maybe one of the times I reconnected after I reversed the side of the connector (and polarity)? Is that possible?
If it worked before and not after, whatever you messed with is the most likely place to look.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Everybody here has you on the right path.

Why the splitter?
I have 12v for the backlights only (oddly only on the spots, and not the driving lamps). There is no voltage at the end of the red wire and before the lights.

are the backlights on a separate power feed?

You need to work forward from the up fitter IMO. Remember, up fitters are powered with key on, so the relay won’t get a trigger signal unless you have both key on and up fitter on. If you have power at the up fitter circuit, move forward to the relay and verify power.
- is it a 4 or 5 post relay?

with up fitter power on, relay should switch power to the light or ‘load’ - you should see +12v here. if you don’t see it at the relay, that could be your problem. Verify this is connected correctly.
Battery to a relay to a splitter to the lights. I think that’s the correct terminology. There is a 40amp fuse in-line to the + cable. There is a 60amp fuse that is downstream from that but it doesn’t have a window. It’s a little box. This is the SVP kit with 4 Rigid 360 6” lights on a bar.
Minimum: you will have Batt+ & ground/earth into the relay. you will also have a ‘trigger’ wire ( switched power ) and a “load” - this connects to the lights.

Is the relay not enough amperage for all your lights?

If it worked before and not after, whatever you messed with is the most likely place to look.
Yeah, I’m with you here. That said, don’t overlook anything obvious or it could really complicate your troubleshooting.