New SPD Performance HX Series Raptor Muffler Replacement available to Pre-order at Apollo Optics.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cloco

Reaction score
This happened to me on a different set up and different vehicle a while ago.... I was like "WTF! This doesn't sound like everyone says it sounds like!". :shakehead: Turns out, I had one of the hangers tweeked and it was touching something else. Created a helluva drone at about the same speeds as you are describing. I loosened everything and adjusted. Gone. :shrug:
I’ll take another gander but the hangars are pretty isolated. You are talking about the probes right?

XSTNKT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll take another gander but the hangars are pretty isolated. You are talking about the probes right?
Anything in the system that is close (with-in say, 1/4") to something else. Under load, all of that exhaust system shifts a little bit. If a part shifts and contacts, even slightly, something else it will resonate throughout the chassis.

Also, if anything in the system was tightened down during the install, it will be more prone to drone. The reason for this is possibly binding up and putting stress on the (rubber) isolators. This makes them less effective, eh, isolating. :hahano: Assemble everything WITHOUT tightening ANYTHING. Then go through and torque all the fasteners. I usually start at the front of the system for this, and work my way back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kyle@Apollo-Optics

Kyle@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this and talking with Jacob the owner of SPD about it. I know my setup with Downpipes is twice as loud as the trombone and HX. At RPM’s between idle and 3,000 rpm I don’t hear a drone at those speeds. I hear an exhaust that is much deeper than the stock muffler and a lot louder. Maybe it’s my ears .

As stated above I had a problem with the clamps not holding the rear of the exhaust would slide in the rubber holders. It slid back and was vibrating. Loosened up the tail section and moved everything back in place. (Cheated used ratchet strap) Did a small tack weld and nothing has moved since.

I do know that Jacob is working on a quieter version and so have seen it with my own eyes. I am meeting up with the member here soon and we will compare exhaust sounds and volume. I will be sure to take plenty of video to post up a comparison.
Like stated above, if you do have a problem reach out to me or SPD and we will do our very best to get you taken care of.

Thank you.

Kyle

OP
OP
Kyle@Apollo-Optics

Kyle@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If anyone has been thinking about ordering the SPD Trombone or HX muffler and doesn’t want to wait now is the time. As of now both the Trombone and HX are in stock.
Message me for FRF member pricing.
If you have any questions please ask.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Right? Everyone always harps on my state but JFC the freeways are FREE. No tolls anywhere. Unless you opt in to paying for carpool lane access.
200.gif200.gif

200.gif

Free, you say?
I mean it’s hard to say exactly where all CA spends all their hard swindled tax dollars but I think calling the freeways in CA free is a bit of a stretch. After all, you’re amortizing all those benefits for the border crossers. Can we still call them border crossers, or will the CA AG haul is into court for typing that on a device that may read it somewhere in CA?

Seriously though, I know everyone yanks Californians chain about a lot of stuff, but, let’s just distill this down to the least common denominator:

As a resident of California, you concede wholly any moral high ground in critiquing any US State, County, City, Town or Territory’s management of their finances.

You are definitely paying for those freeways, toll or no toll. And to be clear, toll roads are an absolute scam on the public. Once they’re in place, they’re like invasive weeds; the government gets addicted to the money generated and they have a tendency to multiply. The latest iteration of this scam is the so called public-private toll road “partnership” or leasing. It’s still a scam. They’re just pocketing excess money, over and above what’s needed to pay for maintenance, upkeep and improvement with these tolls.

But yeah, JFC himself would take one look around and think to himself: ‘Fùck this modern day *****, I’m getting the flock out of here’.

SN8KE

Reaction score
Wanted to post an update about my current set up. SPD hooked it up and sent me out the HX-Series muffler with a Helmholtz resonator in exchange for the original HX-Series muffler I purchased through them. The crazy drone I was experiencing prior is no longer present thankfully. Shout out to SPD on their top notch customer service and superior products!

OP
OP
Kyle@Apollo-Optics

Kyle@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Wanted to post an update about my current set up. SPD hooked it up and sent me out the HX-Series muffler with a Helmholtz resonator in exchange for the original HX-Series muffler I purchased through them. The crazy drone I was experiencing prior is no longer present thankfully. Shout out to SPD on their top notch customer service and superior products!

I will be videoing and measuring interior sound levels here in the next couple weeks comparing both the standard HX and the new Helmholtz resonator HX.

I’m glad your happy with it.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Huh? So is SPD changing their HX muffler then?