New Drift HD170 Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
After much deliberation - I settled on a suction cup mount called Fat Gecko. (Fat Gecko Camera Mount - Extreme Suction Cup Mount - Delkin Devices).
Aside from a semi-cool name - the product is tough, and allows no movement of the camera when it's dialed in right.
A few pics of the first setup... although it will mount on any horizontal or vertical (or angled) surface.

164881_10150128646824283_661084282_7821866_6526368_n.jpg

164881_10150128646824283_661084282_7821866_6526368_n.jpg

168765_10150128646879283_661084282_7821868_8299359_n.jpg

168181_10150128646929283_661084282_7821870_2215124_n.jpg

Once You-tube has processed the test video I made this afternoon - I'll post that up too. I'm very impressed with the stability, motion absorption, and picture quality of this camera given it's the first time I've ever used it.
Only complaint is the sound - lol when I post the vid, shut yer speakers down cuz the wind is howlin like a banshee...

I really like this cam, and the remote control works well. The camera also can take photos in a 3, 5, 10 or 30 second burst.

[edit]
Here's the video from my driveway on out - boring yeah, but I did find a place to grab air around 7:00 or so :)
I forgot to turn the mic off - so turn your volume down...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GTJuruAQPE

Last edited:

peppercorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice mount JP, looks like almost no vibration. I like the jump too, it looks like your landing zone was packed snow!

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like a sweet setup JP.

What made you choose this over GoPro??
(I've got an unopened GoPro and am considering other options)

LVdezertdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the use of dual suction cups, I dont have much vibration with the Contour but two cups will definitely keep it in place

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
Looks nice, just watch out with significant changes in elevation. I used to have a suction mount GPS two trucks ago that would fall off descending from 7,000 feet down to 3,000 or so. Otherwise worked quite well. I'm betting that has more suction to begin with than the GPS did though.

OP
OP
JP7

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Nice mount JP, looks like almost no vibration. I like the jump too, it looks like your landing zone was packed snow!

Yes -the vibration was my concern with buying or making a mount. I didn't want to drill anything. When the guy at the camera store attached the camera to the display case - I lifted the 50lb. piece of glass right out. It's a solid unit and movable anywhere with 360 rotation for the camera. It also comes with a 180km/hr (110 mph) speed rating.

Looks like a sweet setup JP.

What made you choose this over GoPro??
(I've got an unopened GoPro and am considering other options)

Specs wise - the cameras are very comparable with the Gopro having an extra option to shoot in 960 HD. I looked at both for a long time and thought the Drift cam would be easier to mount behind the grill and poke the lens out one of the holes. (The guys at Best Buy wouldnt let me take the cameras outside to check, and were less than impressed when I drove up to aisle 6...).
(BTW - Both don't work unless you bore out a section of the grill)

I guess the main difference is that the front part of the lens of the cam will rotate 300 degrees. This means no matter where you have to mount it, even upside-down, you can rotate the lens to accomodate. This adds some versatility - and as much as I looked, I couldn't see that the Gopro cam could do that.

Besides, orange makes that truck go faster...

OP
OP
JP7

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Looks nice, just watch out with significant changes in elevation. I used to have a suction mount GPS two trucks ago that would fall off descending from 7,000 feet down to 3,000 or so. Otherwise worked quite well. I'm betting that has more suction to begin with than the GPS did though.

Good advice - I hadn't thought of the pressure change - thanks.
I plan to mount it on the top center of the cab in front of the sunroof for easier access (and to keep it cleaner). I'll run a small "seat belt" strap inside and pinch it closed with the sunroof just in case something lets go.

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good advice - I hadn't thought of the pressure change - thanks.
I plan to mount it on the top center of the cab in front of the sunroof for easier access (and to keep it cleaner). I'll run a small "seat belt" strap inside and pinch it closed with the sunroof just in case something lets go.

You've really thought this through. I'm thinking about ditching the GoPro and following your lead. The mount you have looks so much more legit.

How easy or hard are the camera's controls to operate? Are they pretty user friendly? Does it have a little digital screen or something?