NEGOTATE A PRICE LOWER THAN THE MSRP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are two schools of thought on cash vs finance and the deal you can get. I know there are games to be played here. I’ve heard most cases being willing to finance can net you a better deal. (dealer gets a cut) If I’ve got the cash, I’ll finance then pay it off a month later. Could be dealer dependent, I’ve tried the “I’ve got cash“ tactic a couple times and it didn’t improve the situation. Your mileage may vary! Happy hunting.

someday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i get cash in full but wouldnt they prefer someone financing

shigman kinda beat me to it...i dont think they care about "cash" anymore. they get there money either way and more if financed

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don’t most dealers have end of month and end of quarter goals? The last day on each should be a good time to hit them.

johnnybotz

Reaction score
WELL THE WIFE SAYS TO BUY A RAPTOR. SHE SPEAKS I LISTEN. SO I AM ON THE TRAIL LOOKING FOR A RAPTOR. I HAVE NOT STARTED CONTACTING MANY DEALERS YET, BUT THE DEALERS I HAVE CONTACTED HAVE THE ATTITUDE OF YOU PAY THE MSRP OR WE DON'T WANT YOUR BUINESS. THAT MAY BE CAUSED BY LAW OF SUPPLY AND DEMAND. I DON'T KNOW HOW THE DEMAND IS BUT I KNOW THE SUPPLY IS NOT THAT MANY. I HAVE NO PROLEM WITH ANYONE MAKING A PROFIT, BUT I DO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH EXCESSIVE PROFIT AT MY EXPENSE. I KNOW THERE IS MOST LIKELY A 10% TO 15% MARKUP OVER COST ON THE MSRP. AND I KNOW THE DEALER WILL GET A 2% TO 3% HOLDBACK WHEN THE VEHICHLE IS SOLD. SO ON THE MSRP THEIR PROFIT MARGIN IS FAT. DO I NEED TO TRY TO NEGOTATE A LOWER PRICE OR JUST WRITE A CHECK FOR THE MSRP. AS OF RIGHT NOW THERE 670 F150 RAPTORS SETTING ON DEALER LOTS ACROSS THE US AS OF TODAY, AND I AM WILLING TO PAY FOR A $500 PLANE TICKET TO SAVE $3,000. DO I SHOP OR JUST WRITE A CHECK. THANKS
I just picked up mine at MSRP. I also added the 7 year 100,000mile warranty for an extra 3800 bucks. They dropped it down from 5k. Most dealers are asking 5 to 10k over. I found a dealer in PA who would sell it for MSRP and used that to negotiate with my local dealer who had the exact Antimatter Blue 37 raptor on his lot. Good luck and you will get one for MSRP.

Turning Blue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buying a Raptor at msrp is not a bad deal. Time is money even if you're retired. I've done my share of traveling for a great deal on several new vehicle purchases, but an msrp deal in my back yard is acceptable if the truck is the right color and spec. I say quit wasting your time and go for it!

OP
OP
H
Reaction score
Interesting tactic on the financing. I had a friend who was the finance manager at a Mazda dealership, and he shared with me he would shop for financing thru different financing companies and the dealer got finder's fee for the referral and it would vary from different finance companies based on the credit risk of the buyer. The dealer also gets a good fee for selling extended warranties. He was salary plus bonus for the money for the financing and profits from the extended warranties. He was making an excellent salary until the dealer sold and brought in a brother-in-law to do his job. But the financing will sure sweeten a deal in the dealer's favor. I knew that but I just was not thinking it thru. thanks

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oops forgot caps lock was on. i have untreatable degrative eye disease and i can see my errors with caps. Sorry. I live in south Texas and for the most part no one has any discretionary money so the dealers have to be hungry. i don't think i will have any trouble finding what i want as MSRP. The money is not a problem, but you know it is nice to play the game and win. I am not backed to the wall, but the wife says pay the MSRP. I hit one dealer that had added $5,000 dealer profit and he took that off when i asked but is sticking with MSRP. There are 8 that she is interested in so i will play with the dealers to see what happens. It may be strange but i plan to trailer the raptor behind a new motor home so we can park the motor home and use the raptor to get around. She is the one with the checkbook, but like I said it's fun to play the game and win. You did confirm that my thinking is right on target, so thanks. By the way i am 77 also.

No worries. I totally understand about the eye issues. My Dad has m.d. and I know how awful of a disease it is.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
By the way i am 77 also.
A little young, but we won’t hold this against you.

I learned a long time ago to just buy and sell my car. And i may have a little negotiating power. It is called pay cash in full. Thanks

As others have pointed out, there is some potential advantage to financing with them. Maybe. If you have the cash, you have power and can choose what you want to do.
As I mentioned before, I did a cr@p ton of shopping, more than for any other vehicle I’ve bought and the best I could get was MSRP and I was happy to get it. <- It really hurt to type that.

I would go back to the 5k over guy and say “look, the market’s changed, the best I can do is 1500 under. I’ll buy it right now, or go shopping somewhere else, you want to sell the truck or sit on it another month?"

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In my case, writing a check didn’t help me as a bargaining chip.
I bought my Gen3 a year ago and paid ADM.
Writing a check usually hurts you. I act at least mildly interested in their financing until we have a deal. Financing the purchase gives them another opportunity to screw you over and they like that.