Need your advice to save some money

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kurator

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got back a quote from local tint shop. Owner and business itself is very highly regarded place. I am trying to see is there any place I can save some money.

Xpel Stealth full truck - 6,900$
Xpel Ultimate Plus full truck - 6,250$
Xpel Ultimate Plus without roof - 5,850$
Ceramic coating on top of PPF - 1,000$
2 front windows + windshield - 175$ / 300$ depending on the film.

At this point I am thinking maybe do without roof?

Is it possible to do ceramic coating myself?

Thank you for all your help.

OP
OP
Kurator

Kurator

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also this price does not include any paint correction that maybe needed before applying PPF.

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you realize that you can repaint the entire truck for that kind of money? Why anyone would spend $7k-$8k to protect the crappy factory paint baffles me.

You can get a crappy Macco paint job for that money, a real body shop, you'll be looking at north of 10K to paint a vehicle, the correct way, not a scuff and shoot.

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got back a quote from local tint shop. Owner and business itself is very highly regarded place. I am trying to see is there any place I can save some money.

Xpel Stealth full truck - 6,900$
Xpel Ultimate Plus full truck - 6,250$
Xpel Ultimate Plus without roof - 5,850$
Ceramic coating on top of PPF - 1,000$
2 front windows + windshield - 175$ / 300$ depending on the film.

At this point I am thinking maybe do without roof?

Is it possible to do ceramic coating myself?

Thank you for all your help.

Do you have a zeibart in your area? If so, buy their house brand of PPF, it is guarenteed for life, meaning if it gets damaged, they will replace it for free, Xpel will not give you free replacement of film.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is a truck. wash it. wax it. take care of it. no need to spend $8k on xpel or ceramic.

That is "trend" of ceramic and expel is just not something i can get on board with.

Half the fun of owning a car is taking care of it and detailing it every 6 months.

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have painted cars for 30+ years doing 99% custom work. It can be done right for way less than $10k.

I can too, materials are only a few thousand, it’s the labor of stripping all the parts off, stripping all the paint of, bodywork, painting and reassembly that cost money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
IMO, if you're spending in the $6k range, I wouldn't worry about a few hundred for the roof. And even though you don't see the roof, it can still be damaged from scratches, tree sap etc.

For me personally, I would do the windows only. I like the idea of reducing the heat inside the cab as well as a little added protection.

I do somewhat agree with @goblues in that washing and detailing the truck is all part of the experience. Although after a few years of that, I find myself not enjoying that experience nearly so much. Then again, I also don't care about it being detailed all that well either.