Need some bed dovetailing advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOLONxLABE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a RPG raceline rear bumper on the way and I plan on doing a dovetail cut to the bed. It's something I really want to get right the first time. So some general advice by those that have done it would be much appreciated!

Sliver Raptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You are a much braver man than I. I want to do the same thing so badly but very leery about cutting into the bed. Maybe RPG, KHC, or WSI will chime in. I believe all of them could add good insight as well as many other vendors on here that I forgot to mention.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did mine last weekend. It's not that bad/hard. Taped off the lines I wanted using masking tape and made the cut using a pneumatic cut off wheel. Went slow and steady but moved around making surface cuts so I didn't stay in one place for too long and burn the paint. There are some inner supports towards the back of the fender I had to cut from the inside. The hinge support for the tailgate is also attached at the back of the fenders so I was careful to make my cut below those and not into them. I could probably grab some pics tomorrow if anyone wants them.

Palerider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any chance I can revive this ancient thread and get some info? I've been considering this for quite some time now.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

SVT_Mayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any chance I can revive this ancient thread and get some info? I've been considering this for quite some time now.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Besides being one of the best aesthetic mods and functional mods to do, what do you need to know?

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The RPG raceline bumper and a dovetail go together like peanut butter and jelly.

BTW, your not actually cutting "into the bed", its just sheet metal under the bed. Use painters tape on your cut line and a cut-off wheel. Use some touch up paint on the exposed metal afterwards and cover with some plastic door edging from your local auto parts store. Your will also want to cut the bottom of the rear frame horns. That's thicker than the sheet metal and I used a sawzall for those.

image.jpg2_zpskd3ius05.jpg