Need help with which Raptor to buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was at my Ford Dealership with my wife having my Super Duty serviced when my wife spots a Ruby Red Raptor w/802A package and I hear, "ooooh, what's that?" She looks at it with interest, so I ask her if she'd like to take a drive. Well, surprisingly she did, and loved it. So now I'm trying to educate myself so that I don't end up with a case of buyers remorse.
I'm the kind of guy that generally checks nearly every box when I order a new truck, even if some are unnecessary, however, the Raptor seems to be a breed all its own compared to the 2017 F350 King Ranch Ultimate that I last ordered. They share many common components but I'm not sure which packages are the high and low ends. The salesman knew about as much as I did so I thought I'd find out for myself. Any help understanding and advice would be appreciated.

Also, I've noticed that there are some Raptors that are way up there in price like the Hennessy, Roush, and of course the $117,000 Shelby. Are these trucks exclusive enough to warrant that kind of price?

JD_27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I came from a Super Duty and I love my ‘19 Raptor. Go with the options you can afford and that suite you, everyone will have different opinions on here. But...if you plan to jump it often maybe pass on the pano moonroof.

OP
OP
Bullet Bob

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I came from a Super Duty and I love my ‘19 Raptor. Go with the options you can afford and that suite you, everyone will have different opinions on here. But...if you plan to jump it often maybe pass on the pano moonroof.

Not planning any jumping, just pavement. My wife has stage 4 cancer and doesn't feel well enough to do much other than ride in the passenger seat. I'm trying to give her something nice while I still have her. I know it probably sounds a bit odd, her wanting a Raptor when she's dying, but no matter how sick she is, she's a motor head like myself. The Raptor has a unbelievably smooth ride and that would make the weekly 4 hour trip to/from the Cancer Center a lot less painful for her. While the F350 is nice, its still harsh for someone in her position.

As far as the Moonroof goes. I'm thinking that if I want all the bell and whistles, I'm probably going to have to have the hole in the roof. I really don't want it as I've read that they've been known to leak.
Thanks for the reply.

waveslayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the moon roof and so far, no issues for me. It rides very good on the street. For the peace of mind for your wife with her condition, go for it.

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

GR8Ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wishing you the best. Take a minute and build a Raptor on the Ford site. That will give you an idea of what options are available and what you want for you and your wife. Then ask the dealer, or you can as well, start a dealer search for the right one.
Enjoy your time together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Not planning any jumping, just pavement. My wife has stage 4 cancer and doesn't feel well enough to do much other than ride in the passenger seat. I'm trying to give her something nice while I still have her. I know it probably sounds a bit odd, her wanting a Raptor when she's dying, but no matter how sick she is, she's a motor head like myself. The Raptor has a unbelievably smooth ride and that would make the weekly 4 hour trip to/from the Cancer Center a lot less painful for her. While the F350 is nice, its still harsh for someone in her position.

As far as the Moonroof goes. I'm thinking that if I want all the bell and whistles, I'm probably going to have to have the hole in the roof. I really don't want it as I've read that they've been known to leak.
Thanks for the reply.

I can’t even begin to comprehend this burden and it probably doesn’t mean much but I wish the absolute best for both of you.

If you’ve got down getting in and out of the 350 you should have no trouble with the Raptor. As far as cost, the “package” trucks are nice, but anyone who’s been to Raptor Assault will tell you the Raptor is quite capable as is.

as a fellow gear head, I think she will appreciate the Raptor and the ride quality will be significantly better. I’m with @waveslayer here,
go for it

David Godbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can’t go wrong with the Raptor for ride and comfort. It’s an awesome truck. Get all the options, the truck makes you want to use them all, it’s that much fun to drive. Now, I understand what your wife is going through as I am a stage 4 survivor. I completed my treatment and recovery going on ten years ago now. It’s tough but stay with it and always include our maker in your treatment. He works miracles when no one else can. I’ll remember you guys in my prayers and wish her a speedy recovery. God Bless

John Butler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In 1989 I was diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer. Spent 2 years in chemo once with traditional and once with a trial drug. I’m now 84 years old and a 30 year survivor. Please do
not give up hope, your positive attitude and faith. We have a 19 Ruby Red and I have never had more fun than driving our pavement princess keeps me smiling every day. We will keep you in our prayers.

waveslayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once again I wish you and your wife all the best! Prayers brother. Let us know what you get. And if your wife is feeling up to it, get her to the Raptor Assualt . She would enjoy the beautiful scenery.

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

500mag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I came from a 2017 F250, and I don't miss it at all - the Raptor is much easier to drive and park, and rides smoother, not to mention the cost of diesel. If you don't really need a SD, I'd say go for the Raptor, esp in Ruby Red - that is a beautiful color, had a 2014 Fx4 in it. Prayers for your wife.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter